site header

Frequently Asked Questions

Car Rentals

I need to rent a car for University business less than 30 days.  Do I need to pay for insurance coverage from the rental agency?
The University carries coverage for collision and comprehensive perils up to $50,000.  Unless the rental agency insists on more coverage, it should not be necessary to purchase additional insurance.  However, should the rental vehicle also be used for reasons unrelated to university business or if the vehicle will also be driven by individuals who are not affiliated with the University, collision and comprehensive perils coverage should be purchased from the rental agency. In the event of a claim, a $2,500 all perils deductible applies involving private passenger and light commercial vehicles.  If your department does not wish to absorb this cost in the event of a claim, you may wish to purchase the Collision Damage Waiver offered through the rental agency.
I am renting a car in Europe for University business.  Does Queen's have insurance coverage outside of North America?
While the University has both liability and physical damage insurance coverage for vehicles rented outside of North America, this insurance is considered to be excess coverage.  Moreover, in many foreign jurisdictions purchasing insurance from the rental agency may be mandatory; therefore, it is recommended that collision/comprehensive perils coverage should be obtained when renting the vehicle (please note: this kind of coverage may be provided through the use of a gold or platinum credit care -- please check with the card company to determine what insurance, if any, is provided if the rental is paid for through the credit card).
What do I do if I have an accident with my rental vehicle?
You should call the rental agency first and then call the Office of Risk and Safety Services at 613-533-2005 or email You will need to fill out a Vehicle Incident Report Form
I would like to drive my personal vehicle while on University business. If I have an accident, what do I do?
The University does not provide insurance for the use of private automobiles on University business.  If a private automobile is used on approved University business, it is recommended that there be a minimum of $1,000,000 third party liability insurance.  In the event of a claim, and since Ontario is a "no fault" jurisdiction, the owner of the private automobile must look to his/her own carrier for insurance coverage.
I am renting a car for over 30 days.  Do I need to arrange for separate insurance coverage?
Vehicles rented or leased for periods exceeding 30 days qualify for fleet insurance coverage.  To arrange for coverage, contact the Office of Risk and Safety Services at 613-533-2005 or
I have my Ontario Class G2 drivers licence.  Am I permitted to drive on behalf of the University?

All drivers must carry a valid Ontario Class driver’s licence or equivalent from another jurisdiction; only drivers with the appropriate license are permitted to drive vehicles for Queen’s University business.

Please note: When drivers move to Ontario, they can use a valid licence from another province or country for 60 days ONLY.  After 60 days, drivers need to switch to an Ontario driver's licence  For more information:

Fleet Vehicles

I had and accident involving my department's vehicle.  What do I do I next?
Contact the Office of Risk and Safety Services at 613-533-2005 or email and complete the Vehicle Incident Report Form as soon as possible.  Queen's owned vehicles are covered on Queen's Auto policy which provides $5 million third-party liability coverage as well as collision and comprehensive coverage.  Damage to older models is covered by the University's self-insurance program. In the event of a claim involving private passenger and light commercial vehicles, a $1,000 all perils deductible applies.  Be prepared to provide a written statement of the incident as well as any other documentation, including a police report if you have one.  You should get two or three repair estimates before proceeding with repairs. 


We have had a theft in our office and a laptop was stolen. What is the process from here?
You should report the incident to Campus Security's Emergency Report Centre immediately at (613) 533-6111 and then to the Office of Risk and Safety Services at 613-533-2005 or
Queen's does have a self-insurance program for losses below $100,000 (actual replacement cost only, for goods of similar make or comparable performance), but there is a $1,000 deductible that, according to university policy, must be paid out of a department's own resources.  The deductible may be waived, however, if there are signs of "forced entry" in the case of a theft.
We have had a theft in our office and my personal property was stolen. Will insurance cover my personal property?
Personal property of individuals, including students, faculty, staff, contractors and the public, is not covered by the University's insurance policies. Please refer to your own personal insurance policies for possible coverage of your property.
A pipe burst on the floor above us and has caused damage to our lab/offices. Do we have coverage to replace damaged items?
Queen's self-insurance program will reimburse departments for repaired and replaced items for losses up to $100,000.  Large losses would be covered on Queen's Property policy with Queen's covering the insurer's deductible. Contact the Office of Risk and Safety Services at 613-533-2005 or


I am shipping a piece of equipment to the manufacturer for repair.  How do I arrange for insurance coverage on this?
Queen's carries a multi-peril transportation insurance policy covering all university property in transit (either by railroad, public truckers, or transportation companies including the insured's own vehicle) for shipments only in Canada and the U.S.  The liability limit is $250,000.  All shipments valued in excess of $100,000 must be reported to Queen's insurer.
Departments using UPS, Purolator, Federal Express, or similar services should always indicate a value for the items being shipped on the bill of lading if the service offers a token amount of free insurance (i.e. UPS offers $100 of free insurance per shipment - therefore, claim the actual value if below $100, and claim $100 for any shipment valued in excess of $100).  Goods should be sent "FOB Queen's University" rather than FOB the warehouse, which means that Queen's does not accept liability until the goods are delivered and installed at the University.  All shipments valued in excess of $100,000 should be reported to the Office of Risk and Safety Services at 613-533-2005 or prior to shipment as well as all goods shipped outside the continental United States or overseas in order to secure the appropriate insurance coverage.


We are organizing an event off campus.  Do we have to arrange for insurance coverage?

If this is a sanctioned event, the coverage is already in place with the University's insurer, however, you may be required to provide proof of this coverage in the form of a Certificate of Insurance.  To arrange for a certificate, go to the forms page and fill out the Request for Certificate Form.

If this is not yet a sanctioned event, contact Catherine Hagerman, Manager, Insurance & Risk Management in the Office of the Vice Principal (Finance and Administration) at 613-533-6000, x 74322 or for information.  It is also recommended that you consult the OCASP procedures on the Environmental Health and Safety website.

Volunteers and Visitors

We intend to have a volunteer work two afternoons a week in our department. What do we need to do in order to ensure they are covered by insurance?
It is very important that volunteers receive proper formal documentation of their assignments at Queen's in the form of a letter from the Department head, setting out the terms and conditions and the duration and description of the work to be performed.  This documentation should be in place before the volunteer arrives in the Department.

The Department Head should ensure that volunteers are familiar with all regulations and procedures of the University and department regarding occupational health and safety.  As well, because volunteers are not protected under our Workers' Compensation, the Head should also ensure that volunteers are enrolled in a medical insurance plan such as OHIP or similar private medical plan.

We have been approached by someone wishing to use our departmental facilities.  We will not be paying this person and wish to ensure we are covered by this person's activities. 

This person would be considered a "visitor" to Queen's.  The Department must obtain a waiver/release signed by the visitor as well as provide the visitor with a letter from the Department Head setting out the terms, conditions, duration and description of private work to be performed while in the Department.  It is vital that the Department Head also ensure that the visitor is familiar with all regulations and procedures of the University and Department in terms of occupational health and safety.  Evidence of protection under Workers' Compensation and/or a medical insurance plan such as OHIP or similar private medical plan should be obtained.

Further questions concerning volunteers and visitors should be directed to Catherine Hagerman, Manager, Insurance & Risk Management in the Office of Risk and Safety Services at 613-533-6000 x 74322 or