APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, February 5th, 2023
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics anticipates having several undergraduate research assistantship positions, including some through the NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards* program, available for the summer of 2023. These positions are open to current undergraduate students in mathematics and statistics, mathematics and engineering or related fields from Queen’s University or elsewhere. If you have a strong academic record and are interested in gaining research experience in the mathematical and/or statistical sciences, we invite you to apply.
Applications should be emailed as a single PDF document to Jennifer Read by the application deadline. A complete application will consist of the following:
- A copy of your CV/resume.
- Your Queen’s student number and your status in Canada (Citizen/Permanent Resident/Study Permit)
- The title of the project(s) for which you would like to be considered and a brief statement explaining why you are interested in and qualified for that project. If you are interested in more than one project please rank the projects in order of preference. Applicants are encouraged to list more than project.
- Copies of transcripts for any studies not completed at Queen’s; the Department can access your Queen’s record.
Applicants eligible for an NSERC USRA will be considered for that program. All applicants will be considered for a Department USRA. NSERC USRA recipients will be selected in accordance with the objectives of that program. All applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
- Academic record;
- Research aptitude and/or potential;
- Fit/qualifications for the selected project.
Successful applicants will be expected to work for 16 consecutive weeks, on a full-time basis (35 hrs/wk), between May and August. Remuneration will be a minimum of $8680** for the entire work term for full-time assistantships.
The number of positions will depend on the number of qualified applicants and the number of awards/amount of funding available.
We anticipate contacting successful applicants by 17 February 2023.
If you have questions about our summer research program please contact Jennifer Read.
*Information about the USRA program, including eligibility conditions and general application instructions can be found on the NSERC website. Only those applicants selected for an NSERC USRA will be required to complete and submit FORM 202, Part I using the NSERC Online system. Instructions on this form can be found here.
**Before any applicable taxes and deductions. This amount includes an award from NSERC for those selected for an NSERC USRA.