Non-Academic Misconduct

Non-Academic Misconduct

site header



Reporting units receive
complaints and determine
when a matter needs to be
forwarded to the
Non-Academic Misconduct
Intake Office (NAMIO).

Reporting Units include:
Athletics & Recreation
Campus Security
Human Rights & Equity
Sexual Violence Prevention & Response

Report Non-Academic Misconduct.


The NAMIO considers the nature
of the matter, the students
involved, the impact, and the
appropriate University policy
for resolution.

Cases can be diverted
if a student is at risk, or
referred to a NAM Unit.
NAM Units manage
and resolve cases in
accordance with their
applicable procedures. 



Cases can be resolved informally
by agreement, or formally by
an Adjudicating Body.
Outcomes could include sanctions.

NAM Units include:
Athletics & Recreation
Authorized Agents (AMS)
Student Conduct Office

Contact a NAM Unit. 


Cases resolved through
an Adjudicating Body
may be appealed to the
relevant Appeal Body.

Student Conduct appeals
and Sexual Violence appeals
have separate Appeal Bodies. 

Things to know about the Non-Academic Misconduct process

Intersection between the Non-Academic Misconduct system and other legal proceedings

The Student Code of Conduct and other University policies fall under administrative law. These processes are separate and distinct from civil or criminal proceedings that take place outside of the University.

A student facing a Non-Academic Misconduct (NAM) process may be facing a civil or criminal proceeding at the same time. When this occurs, the University may suspend the NAM process until the civil or criminal process has ended.  Once the external process has ended, the NAM process may resume if it is in the University’s interest to do so.

Queen’s University community members who submit a complaint to the NAM system may also choose to pursue legal action outside the University and that is their right to do so.

Legal representation is your choice

Many complaints processed through the Non-Academic Misconduct (NAM) system are straightforward and respondents feel confident in navigating the process without legal representation. 

However, where a finding of responsibility could result in a serious sanction such as a Requirement to Withdraw from the University, or where the matter could result in a separate civil or criminal proceeding, you may wish to speak to a legal counsel to ensure that your rights are fully understood.

Respondents and complainants are permitted to bring advisors or support persons to any meetings held during the NAM process. Parents, peers, and the Rector are examples of support persons and advisors.

Non-Academic Misconduct records

Findings of responsibility for violations of the Code are tracked in a student’s Non-Academic Misconduct (NAM) record.  They do not appear on a student's academic transcript, except for in the most serious cases if the student is required to withdraw due to NAM.  A student’s NAM record may be considered as a factor for resolving any subsequent incidents.  NAM records are maintained in accordance with the University's Records Management Policy and Records Retention Schedules.

Learn more about University Records Retention Schedules.

Appeals of Non-Academic Misconduct decisions

A finding of responsibility and/or sanctions imposed by an adjudicating body can be appealed under the Student Appeals, Rights & Discipline (SARD) Policy, the Residence Community Standards, or NAM Unit that handled the case.

In cases where the respondent accepted responsibility and agreed to an Informal Resolution, the respondent may not appeal. However, a respondent may request that the original case manager consider a revision to the resolution agreement.

Learn more about the Student Appeals, Rights & Discipline (SARD) Policy.