Please note that the inaugural Secure IoT Challenge was completed in 2020. Future opportunities will be posted on this page, when available.
Three of Canada’s leading technology companies, TELUS, BlackBerry and Solace, came together with L-SPARK in 2019 to create the Secure IoT Accelerator Program, powered by an innovative Secure IoT Platform.
The Queen’s Partnerships and Innovation team collaborated with L-SPARK to organize and deliver the "Secure IoT Hackathon/Mentorship" pilot program, which provided an excellent training and entrepreneurship opportunity for graduate and undergraduate students. The School of Computing took the lead academic role at Queen's for this activity which launched on January 14 and concluded in April 2020.
Challenge participants had pre-commercial access to an innovative Secure IoT platform to develop their own IoT applications. The Secure IoT Platform integrated TELUS Global Connectivity and root of trust security with BlackBerry’s secure operating system and Solace’s data movement capabilities.
- Passionate about building new IoT products and services that will change the way our world operates
- Eager to learn from industry experts and business mentors
- Interested in creating a potential startup company
The Secure IoT Challenge has two main components:
- A Hackathon that took place at Queen’s University, where teams addressed a variety of challenges and develop a proof of concept of their solution using the Secure IoT Dev Kit.
- An opportunity for the top 4 Hackathon teams to receive support to further develop their proposed solution.