Partnerships and Innovation

Office of Partnerships and Innovation
Office of Partnerships and Innovation

GreenCentre Canada partners with Ontario to foster green innovation by emerging chemical companies

Article Date: May 17, 2011

Funded with $1.5 million from the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation, GreenCentre will be offering small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) awards of $50,000-$150,000 to help them develop products and processes that use less energy and fewer resources and reduce waste. The Ontario funding is part of a $13.6 million startup grant awarded to GreenCentre in 2009.

“Our outreach to industry has shown us that there is both desire and effort by emerging companies to adopt greener practices early on,” says Dr. Rui Resendes, Executive Director of GreenCentre. “Through this program, these companies now have access to additional resources they need to realize their commercial and environmental objectives.”

“Ontario’s economy is turning the corner, in part because we are investing in areas like clean technology,” says Glen Murray, Minister of Research and Innovation. “Green Centre Canada is helping bring together talented researchers and high-potential industries to create new opportunities in the global market and good jobs at home.”

GreenCentre’s SME Commercialization Fund also provides these emerging companies with access to the centre’s specialized services, facilities, and expertise for pursuing green chemistry innovations through the costly and difficult early stages of development. Eligible companies must have annual revenues of $5 million or less.

The awards will cover 25% of total project costs; eligible companies are expected to contribute the remaining 75 percent costs, either through cash and in-in kind support, funding programs, or Scientific Research and Economic Development (SR&ED) federal tax credits. Companies can apply at any time and GreenCentre aims to respond to all proposals within 90 days of submission.

About GreenCentre Canada:
GreenCentre Canada is a national Centre of Excellence for commercializing early-stage green chemistry discoveries generated by academic researchers and industry. Funded by the province of Ontario, the Government of Canada, and industry sponsors, GreenCentre Canada is dedicated to developing environmentally friendly alternatives to traditional chemical and manufacturing products and practices. It is governed and operated with the assistance of industry sponsors from across the chemical value chain. Founded in 2009, GreenCentre is located at Innovation Park at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

Mary Anne Beaudette
Director, Communications
GreenCentre Canada