Office of Post-Doctoral Training



Post-Doctoral Training

School of Graduate Studies

site header

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find resources for professional development?
Please visit the Career Development section on this site and the Expanding Horizons website 
Where can I find funding for conference travel?
The Office of Post-Doctoral Training administers the Post-Doctoral Travel Award. Deadlines for applications are in April and November. 


Can I supervise graduate students?
Post-doctoral fellows may be eligible to co-supervise graduate students if they receive Adjunct I status. Talk to your supervisor and the Head of the Department or the Director of the School that you are affiliated with to inquire about achieving this type of status.
Am I eligible for a Queen’s Photo ID card?
All Queen’s employees are eligible for a Queen’s photo ID card. This includes post-docs, unless their funding is not funneled through Queen’s Payroll. Please call Human Resources at 613.533.2070 to determine if you are eligible.
Do I need to purchase health insurance? How can I enroll in UHIP?

When you arrive in Canada you are required to purchase a health insurance plan for the first three months of your stay through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for yourself and your accompanying family. You must hold a valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to obtain UHIP.

As a Temporary Worker of Canada, you will able to enroll in the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) only from the fourth month of your arrival to Canada.
Canadians returning to Canada also must apply for UHIP until they can reapply for OHIP coverage.

Please contact Human Resources (HR) by phone: 613.533.2070 to make an appointment to enroll in UHIP. More information can be found on the HR website. For information on UHIP coverage please visit the UHIP website

How can I find employment for my spouse or partner?
Kingston offers many resources to seek employment opportunities for spouses and partners.
Spouses of international post-docs may be eligible for a work permit.
Please note that securing employment for your spouse or partner is not the responsibility of Queen’s University or any department or office within Queen’s.
How do I enroll my children in school or daycare?
Please find more information on schools and daycare facilities in Kingston here.