Office of Post-Doctoral Training



Post-Doctoral Training

School of Graduate Studies

site header

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

When you arrive in Canada you are required to purchase a health insurance plan for the first three months of your stay through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for yourself and your accompanying family. You must hold a valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to obtain UHIP.

As a Temporary Worker of Canada, you will be able to enroll in the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) only from the fourth month of your arrival to Canada. To be eligible for OHIP as a Temporary Worker of Canada, you must be physically present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days after the three month waiting period. If you are on a work permit, it must be valid for at least 6 months. You must also have a formal agreement to work full-time for an employer in Ontario. For application forms, where to apply, and details on eligibility please go to the OHIP Website.

Canadians returning to Canada also must apply for UHIP until they can reapply for OHIP coverage.

Please contact Human Resources (HR) by phone: 613.533.2070 to make an appointment to enroll in UHIP. More information can be found on the HR website.

The cost of UHIP depends on the length of stay and on accompanying family. Refer to the UHIP Premium table to determine the cost.

Please visit the UHIP website for information on coverage.