Office of Post-Doctoral Training



Post-Doctoral Training

School of Graduate Studies

site header

Work Permit Extensions

Work permits can normally be extended as necessary for the duration of your employment. Post-docs who already have a valid work permit and who wish to extend their stay in Canada should submit an Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada with Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This should be submitted at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current work permit. 

NEW: The employer has to pay a compliance fee ($230) and complete the "Offer of Employment" form online on the IRCC Employer Portal for the work permit extension application to be complete. When the form is completed and the feel is paid, applicants for a work permit renewal will receive an ID number which has to be included in their application. Instructions can be found here.