We are excited to announce the 2021 NSERC USRA Program information!
Summer 2021 NSERC-USRA Research Awards
USRA (Undergraduate Student Research Awards) are meant to nurture your interest and fully develop your potential for a research career in the natural sciences and engineering. They are also meant to encourage you to undertake graduate studies in these fields. If you would like to gain research work experience that complements your studies in an academic setting, these awards can provide you with financial support through your host university. We encourage qualified Indigenous, women, visible minorities, BIPOC, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ persons to apply for this award.
To be eligible to apply for an award, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada as of the deadline date for applications at the university;
- be registered, as of the deadline date for applications at the university, in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university;
- minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
To hold an award, you must:
- have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of your bachelor's degree;
- have been registered in at least one of the two terms immediately before holding the award in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university;
- not have started a program of graduate studies in the natural sciences or engineering at any time;
- be engaged on a full-time basis in research and development activities in the natural sciences or engineering during the tenure of the award.
Please read the following NSERC websites for detailed information of eligibility and take a look at their FAQs:
- Students are not permitted to take courses during working hours throughout the term of their award unless special arrangements to make-up the time have been made with the supervisor. In particular, they are not permitted to do thesis research during the term of the award.
- You may hold a maximum of three (3) university USRAs throughout your undergraduate university career.
- You may not hold two (2) USRAs at the same time.
Duration of awards
- The duration of the award is 16 consecutive weeks on a full-time basis, from May 1 to August 31.
List of Faculty Members accepting NSERC student applications for Summer 2021
- You must work under the supervision of a faculty member. The Psychology Faculty members listed above are accepting applications for summer 2021. Please follow up with them directly via email with your unofficial transcript to apply.
- The deadline to secure Faculty approval is February 19, 2021.
- Once you have secured approval from a Faculty member, please send an email to the Undergraduate Office: email@example.com, copying your Faculty Supervisor.
- Once the Awards Committee has selected the recipients, successful applicants will be notified starting Friday, February 26th, 2021.
- You will need to formally accept your offer and complete the necessary documentation/forms required from NSERC (via NSERC application site), which will include an unofficial transcript. The deadline to submit all documentation/forms is no later than Friday, March 5, 2021.