Effective Sept. 7, 2021, universities and colleges will not be subject to physical distancing or capacity limit requirements for indoor instructional spaces, including classrooms, labs, libraries, and in-person experiential learning, etc. This change allows Queen’s to proceed with our detailed plans for in-person academic activities throughout the fall term.
Instructional spaces at Queen’s have been defined to assign parameters around which spaces on campus are not subject to physical distancing or capacity limits. All instructional spaces continue to be subject to all other Step 3 requirements, including mandatory masking.
Read full details below.
Definition of Instructional Spaces Fall Term 2021
To assign parameters for the assignment of university instructional space in order to comply with the Step 3 Ministry requirements, which indicate the removal of physical distancing and capacity limit requirements for indoor instructional spaces (e.g., classrooms, labs, etc.) at PSE institutions.
Instructional space is defined as any university space that fosters and supports student learning and success.
This includes spaces that:
- ensure effective delivery of curriculum;
- engage students in learning; and
- provide access to university resources.
Acceptable examples include the following:
- Curriculum delivery
- Classrooms and accompanying entranceways and proximate supporting amenities (central and Department-/Faculty-owned)
- Laboratories (teaching and research)
- Clinical teaching laboratories
- Visual art studio spaces
- Music performance spaces
- Drama performance spaces
- Experiential learning spaces
- Student learning
- Student offices
- Group meeting rooms
- Study spaces
- Faculty offices
- Resource provision
- Libraries (main and branch)
- Academic/learning support spaces (e.g. Student Academic Success Services)
- Computer rooms
It will be necessary to ensure that safety protocols are followed. These include:
- Screening for COVID-19 symptoms before entering any instructional spaces
- Wearing of masks in all instructional spaces
- Use of appropriate room booking system for each type of group space to identify the participants and the academic use of the space