2021/22 - Process Update
All Nominations which were submitted by the March 2021 deadline have now been reviewed by the Honorary Degrees Committee and those selected have been approved by the Senate. The formal announcement of successful nominees will be made in Fall 2021.
The Office of the University Registrar is working on plans for alternate ceremonies . All Honorary Degree recipients will have an opportunity to reschedule their ceremony.
The Senate Committee on Honorary Degrees of Queen's University invites nominations for honorary degrees to all who qualify, including equity deserving groups such as individuals from equity deserving groups such as women, Black, racialized persons and Indigenous Peoples, persons with a disability, and persons who identify in the 2SLGBTQ+ community, to be awarded at future convocations. The timing of these is to be determined.
- faculty and staff at Queen's are not eligible for nomination until at least three to five years after retirement
- an active politician is not eligible
- the person must be living
- nominations that reflect the diversity of Canadian society are encouraged
The nomination process is now open for degrees to be awarded in 2023. Nominations will be accepted until March 1, 2022 and the Honorary Degrees Committee will meet in March 2022 to review and select the nominees for Senate consideration.
- outstanding contributions to discipline or field of work, to community, to society or to the University
- nominee may come from any country
2022 Convocation Dates
Convocations will be held in June and November, with specific dates to be announced near the end of 2021.
To apply, follow this link to complete the application form. Please note that you will need to have your supporting documentation ready as a single PDF file to upload as an attachment to the application form. If you have any questions about completing the process, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
A completed nomination form is essential and is all that is strictly required for submission to the Committee and the Senate. You may include up to 15 pages of supporting documentation (curriculum vitae, letters of support, etc.) to assist in the deliberations of the Committee. Only the completed nomination form will be presented to Senate.
To complete the form, you will be asked the following:
- Names and contact information of two nominators;
- Nominee name and contact information;
- A list of educational achievements and honours received by the nominee;
- A short summary of the nominee's career;
- A 500 word statement on the Reasons for Recommending the Award of an Honorary Degree; and
- Upload the supporting documentation as a single PDF file (optional).
Please take great care in completing the section "Reasons for Recommending Award of an Honorary Degree" since the Committee focuses on this section in making its selection.
Please note that in order to assure confidentiality nominators should not contact nominees.
Nomination packages may also be submitted to:
The University Secretariat
Senate Committee on Honorary Degrees
Mackintosh-Corry Hall, Suite F300
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
If you wish, you can review the form prior to beginning the online submission - Honorary Degree Nomination Form 2022 (PDF 144KB)