FAQ Sexual Violence Policy


Do you have a question that cannot be answered by the FAQ?  Please email the SVPRC at: bj7l@queensu.ca

Students who wish to make a confidential disclosure should make an appointment at Student Wellness Services.  Other members of the Queen's community cannot promise the same level of confidentiality as our Health Care Providers.  All employees can promise discretion but students should be aware that QU employees are required to notify the Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Coordinator about all disclosures made to them. Identifying information (student name, email), is not included in the notification unless the student has consented. Please see section 10 of the Sexual Violence Policy for more information.

In addition, sometimes, reporting is required by law. For example, when the situation involves a minor, or when Human Rights or health and safety laws require the university to pursue an investigation. Sometimes information will be shared between staff and faculty. For example, when coordinating accommodations, academic considerations, or referrals to support services. In this case, students should be advised who the information is being shared with.

Following a disclosure to a QU employee, the Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Coordinator will be notified (see question about confidentiality above). If identifying information has been shared, a member of the SVPR team will contact the student who disclosed to offer a variety of supports/services. A student who discloses or reports an experience of sexual violence can access some, all, or none of the supports/services offered.  This is regardless of where and when the sexual violence took place or the people involved.  With your permission, the SVPR team member, can work collaboratively with other resources on campus, such as Student Wellness Services, to make sure that you receive the support and assistance you want.

All members of the Queen's community are expected to respond to disclosures in a non-judgmental and supportive way. If you make a disclosure, you should be provided with information about the sexual violence policy and the support services and resources that are available. 

There are specialized services on campus that have expertise in responding to disclosures and supporting individuals impacted by sexual violence (Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Service, Student Wellness Services, the Office of Faith and Spiritual Life, etc). 

For the purposes of disclosures, for those looking for support and referrals, the policy applies to all Queen’s students regardless of where or when the sexual violence occurred. The policy is limited with respect to complaints, investigations and discipline. The university’s authority to involve itself in situations that do not involve current members of the Queen’s community is limited.

Students who have experienced sexual violence at any time in their lives can access help and services.

The Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Task Force helps to develop and coordinate training programs, awareness and education initiatives and other programming aimed at preventing sexual violence on campus. 

Learn more about the SVPR Task Force.


Yes, there are a variety of opportunities for students, staff and faculty to get more information. Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Services, the Division of Student Affairs, Sexual Health Resource Centre, the Alma Mater Society and others, offer workshops, educational sessions and events throughout the year. Our website has lots of information about education and training on campus. See below for some links to related pages.

Visit our Education and Events Page

Take the It Takes All of Us Online Training

Faculty and Staff

You have control over what information you choose to share during a disclosure. Your options will be discussed with you to make sure that you are well informed. If you are disclosing to a member of the SVPRS team we only need to know enough about what happened to be able to offer the appropriate support and resources.

No. It is up to you to decide how much information you choose to share. For your own safety and the safety of the greater Queen’s community, you may be asked for the name and other information about the perpetrator. You do not need to share this information. You can discuss your concerns with respect to sharing it with the person requesting it.

The Sexual Assault Domestic Violence (SADV) (613) 544-6424 Program at Kingston General Hospital site of KHSC offers emergency assistance 24/7 through the Emergency Department. They offer emergency medical care, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, HIV and pregnancy and forensic evidence collection (including the Sexual Assault Evidence Kit) which you can choose to use at a later date or not at all. In the case of sexual assault, please note that it is recommended that physical evidence be collected up within 72 hours after the assault took place, but can be collected within 12 days of the incident. However, earlier is always better and your physical health is always the most important thing to consider. The SADV Program Nurse may also offer you support and referrals 24 hours-a-day, seven days-a-week. You can also call or go to Health Services at Student Wellness Services (613) 533-2506 in Mitchell Hall during regular business hours.

Depending on your circumstances, you might want to have help developing a safety plan. For help to develop a safety plan you can contact:

  • Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Service
  • Campus Security and Emergency Services
  • Sexual Assault Centre Kingston
  • Kingston Interval House

Your safety plan can include options related to your academic, employment, housing and social life both on- and off-campus. Plans are tailored to your specific needs and circumstances. You do not need to make a complaint in order to get help to develop a safety plan. If you make a complaint, either with the University or with the police, there may be additional things that can be put in place to help with improving your safety.

The Policy on Academic Considerations in Extenuating Circumstances, allows students to request short term (3 days) considerations without supporting documentation. Use your faculty portal to make these requests. 

For considerations beyond 3 days, please contact the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator (613) 533-6330 or bjl7@queensu.ca and/or Student Wellness Services (613) 533-2506.

For more information, visit the Student Wellness Services website.

If you are on exchange:

Queen's University has partnered with International SOS (ISOS) to provide out-of-country emergency assistance for all Queen's community members traveling on university-sanctioned activities. In the event of an emergency you can access International SOS to speak to a  doctor, get referred to a local health care provider, receive travel information and alerts, and assistance for immediate medical and security concerns. You can also contact International SOS prior to your travel for country-specific information. A network of multilingual specialists are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Login to the ISOS webpage with your Queen's NetID for further information.

If you have returned from exchange:

Please consider contacted the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Service. You can do so by contacting the SVPRC, at bjl7@queensu.ca to make arrangements.

You can pursue criminal reporting and/or file a complaint under the Sexual Violence Policy. If you are thinking about making a complaint to the University, please contact the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator. You can also make a report to Campus Security. You do not have to pursue complaint procedures when disclosing an experience of sexual violence.. If you choose to make a complaint, you can choose to withdraw from that process at any time. You can also file a report with the police. You can make complaints both to the University and to the police at the same time.

Section 11.1 of the Sexual Violence Policy says the following:

The Complaint procedure set out in Section 12 below (the “Procedure”) only applies to Complaints in which:

(i) the Complainant was a member of the University Community at the time of the alleged incident; and
(ii) the Respondent was a member of the University Community at the time of the alleged incident; and
(iii) the Respondent is a member of the University when the Complaint is filed.

There is no time limit for making a report to the police.

You will not be forced to file a complaint or participate in any complaint or investigation process.

No, you will not be forced to participate in an investigation or conduct proceeding. However, if Queen’s becomes aware of an incident of sexual violence that poses a risk to the safety of members of the Queen’s community, it will be required to take reasonable steps to ensure that the Queen’s community is safe. Therefore, it may be possible that a processes may be undertaken or continue without your participation.

If the allegation is substantiated the outcome may include: 

(i) a written warning or reprimand;
(ii) a letter of behavioural expectation;
(iii) educational assignments;
(iv) an apology;
(v) University or community service;
(vi) restitution;
(vii) a conditional or monetary fine;
(viii) loss of privileges;
(ix) a No-contact Directive;
(x) Non-academic probation;
(xi) a Notice of Prohibition; and
(xii) a Requirement to Withdraw (i.e. suspension or expulsion)

Except in very specific circumstances, the Police do not become involved unless you ask them to be. Generally, the University does NOT notify police of either disclosures or University complaints of sexual violence. An exception would be when there is an immediate safety concern. A student who would like to speak to a police officer to get information to assist in making a decision about police reporting can contact the SVPRC, a Human Rights Advisor or Campus Security for support with that process.

In residence, you can talk to your Don, your Residence Life Coordinator, or to any staff member in the building. Residence staff will listen to you and provide you with resources. If disclosing to your Don, they will call the Residence Life Coordinator on-call to attend and provide you with further information and resources, such as speaking with Campus Security and the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator. You will be offered the option of an emergency stay space or a room change. If there is an immediate safety risk to you or other residents or you wish to make a complaint, the perpetrator may be moved to a different building, or have their residence contract terminated, and/or a notice of trespass to residences. More formal actions may be undertaken if you make a complaint, an investigation is undertaken and the allegation is substantiated. Queen’s understands concerns regarding reprisal and retaliation and will make all efforts to maintain your safety.

You have the right to a safe working and educational environment. The Sexual Violence Policy clearly states that a student impacted by sexual violence will received appropriate support or accommodations, regardless of the role of the perpetrator in the Queen’s community.  Formal complaints against employees follow a different process than complaints made against students. More information about this process is available from Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Services (SVPRS). 

The Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Service is part of the Human Rights and Equity Office, an independent department on campus located in Mackintosh Corry Hall. SVPRS is the point on contact on campus for students impacted by sexual violence and for prevention initiatives. We provide:

  • Information and options about on and off campus supports and services for all students who have experienced sexual violence at any time in their lives.

  • Referrals to support services.

  • Assistance to access accommodations/academic considerations.

  • Safety planning.

  • Information about both University and Police reporting processes, accompaniment/support in process, if requested.

  • Support and information for housemates, classmates, teammates etc. who may also be impacted.

  • Consultation on related educational initiatives on campus.

  • Prevention education, training, and workshops.