Get Support: Steps for students to take after a sexual assault

Queen’s encourages students who have experienced sexual violence to reach out for support and offers the following steps as options to consider.

  • If you live in a Queen's Residence: contact your Don or call the front desk of your Residence and ask for the on-call Don. Dons are there to listen and support you.

  • If you don’t live in Residences or you are not a student: call or go to a trusted friend’s house or shelter if you feel physically and/or emotionally unsafe.

For confidential services, 24/7, present [in person] to the Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Program, Kingston Health Sciences Centre [KHSC] Emergency Dept - KGH site

Options for care may include:

  • Emergency medical care

  • Testing and treatment of sexually transmitted illnesses, HIV, pregnancy

  • Forensic [DNA] evidence collection

  • Photographic Injury documentation

For evidence collection, try not to:

  • Shower, bathe or use the washroom prior to medical exam.

  • Change, wash or destroy clothing.

  • Clean up the scene.

If you want accompaniment to the hospital:

  • Sexual Assault Centre Kingston: Call (613) 544-6424 crisis line operates 24/7

  • Sexual Health Resource Centre (Kingston) – a confidential, non-judgmental, feminist, queer positive, pro-choice, sex positive and non-heterosexist information and referral service.  LaSalle Building, Rm 215. Call (613) 533-2959. Email


Queen's Student Wellness Services, Health Services.  Monday - Friday. Located in Mitchell Hall. Call (613) 533-2506.

Not sure what to do next?

Contact Barb Lotan, the Queen’s University Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator.

Barb can provide information and to review your options with you. Monday to Friday (email preferred)  or (613) 533-6000 x36330

Counselling Services, Student Wellness: Ask for an appointment with a counsellor; indicate it is a crisis related to sexual assault.

Main floor, Mitchell Hall (613) 533-2506


Counsellors are also available in Residences, Athletics & Recreation, Four Directions, and some faculties and schools (Graduate Studies & Postdoctoral Affairs, Engineering, Commerce, Education, Medicine, Nursing, Arts & Science)

Residence Counsellors

Reporting Options

  • Kingston Police Services – (613) 549-4660

  • Campus Security and Emergency Services can help with reports to Kingston Police. Call (613) 533-6733

  • Non-Academic Misconduct - complaints can be submitted by the Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Coordinator, Campus Security or a Human Rights Advisor

  • Online, using  VESTA for Campus 

Emergency Response
  •  Dial 911 police, fire and rescue, ambulance for life-threatening response.

Queen's Emergency Report Centre
  • (613) 533-6111 (24/7)

Kingston General Hospital
  • 24/7 Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Program (ask for the SA/DV nurse),

  • for care, attend in-person, Emergency Department 

  • (613) 549-6666 Ext: 4880, for general inquiries, weekdays, business hours

Sexual Assault Centre Kingston
  •  24/7 crisis and support line.

  •  (613) 544-6424

  •  Toll-Free: 1 (877) 544-6424