School of Graduate Studies

School of Graduate Studies
School of Graduate Studies

Individuals in life-jackets working by the water.

International Opportunities

Graduate students may participate in exchanges or visiting opportunities at other universities both in Canada and across the world in order to expand their areas of study, research and experience. These opportunities take several forms: student exchange programs, visiting researchships, and cotutelles. Students who are in good standing and who wish to study for part of their degree away from Queen’s should work closely with their supervisor and graduate coordinator, to determine how their participation may alter their progress towards degree completion, funding, or research/teaching commitments. Queen’s also has specific agreements with China (the China Council Scholarship).

Study and Research at International Universities

International Student Exchanges

International student exchanges are managed through a database of universities with whom Queen's has an exchange agreement. These agreements are often the result of a signed Memorandum of Agreement between two institutions and appendices to these agreements include details such as the length of study, fees that must be paid by students and the length of the agreement. Because of the reciprocal nature of student exchanges, tuition is often waived at the host institution; however students continue to pay tuition to their home university. Students are responsible for all other expenses such as travel, fees related to non-academic services, accommodation and for incoming exchange students at Queen's, UHIP payment.

International Visiting Researchships

Queen’s Graduate students, in consultation with their supervisor, may also seek out their own individual visiting studentship at other universities with whom Queen’s does not have a formal arrangement. Graduate students are responsible for making these arrangements themselves with the desired institution. Once arrangements have been made with the participating university, current Queen's graduate students indicate their participation in study opportunities outside of Queen's by first completing an Off-Campus Study form (PDF*, 46 KB). These forms are available through the School of Graduate Studies. If the tuition is not waived at the host institution and if tuition is paid in full at the host institution, Queen’s students may request a tuition waiver for tuition charged at Queen’s for the period that they are paying tuition elsewhere.

Cotutelle Program

A cotutelle program is a dual doctoral degree program between two universities: the student completes the full degree requirements for each of the two universities (common dissertation) and if successful, receives a degree from each university. Cotutelle programs afford several opportunities: to enhance doctoral training, to foster international research, to enable student mobility, to develop global networks and experiences. Doctoral students at Queen’s may be able to engage in international cotutelle studies, depending on their academic program, supervision and plan of study. Students registered in a doctoral program outside of Canada are invited to consider Queen’s as a destination University for cotutelle studies.

Students in a cotutelle program are registered as full-time students at two institutions. They have a supervisor at both universities who are fully committed to mentoring the student in collaboration with each other. Students are subject to the admission requirements (including language requirements), degree requirements and the regulations of both universities and they spend research and study time at each institution. One comprehensive/candidacy examination and one thesis defence is held in accordance with the framework agreed upon at the start of the cotutelle program. Normally, a cotutelle option is possible when there is an existing or developing collaborative research project/program between researchers (i.e. prospective supervisors).

A Cotutelle PhD Agreement (PDF 104KB)} must be completed and signed by the participating universities to confirm the terms (e.g. registration, payment of tuition, etc.) and a schedule of study (e.g. periods at each institution, the location of the thesis examination). A detailed research proposal with a schedule for completion of all degree requirements is also required.

If a Queen’s student is considering a cotutelle experience, they should discuss this option with their supervisor to explore the possibilities. An Associate Dean at the School of Graduate Studies should be contacted to review the cotutelle program framework and a Cotutelle PhD Agreement must be completed and signed prior to commencing a cotutelle program of study.

Queen’s students completing a cotutelle PhD program with a partner institution in France may apply for France-Canada Research Fund (FCRF) Cotutelle Scholarships:

Visiting Research Students

A student who is registered in a graduate level program at their home university may register at Queen's for non-degree study and/or to join a research group for a period of up to one year. Interested students are required to complete an application that includes a recommendation from the research supervisor and from the Department Head. A Visiting Research Student may be assessed student activity fees but not tuition fees and may not enroll in courses. They must be insured under UHIP (if international). Contact the SGS office for further information and the application documents for the VRS program. Please contact Darlene Homer at the SGS Office if you have any queries.

Agreement with the China Scholarship Council

Queen's and the School of Graduate Studies has signed agreements with China and Saudi Arabia. Each Agreement has specific guidelines and responsibilities defined.

Study and Research at Universities within Canada

The following opportunities to study at other Canadian institutions are available to Queen’s graduate students:

Queen's/Royal Military College Visiting Graduate Student Agreement

Students from either university are permitted to take courses at the graduate level at the host university for degree credit at their home university at no additional cost. Courses may not be audited. Fees are paid at the home university. Please contact Darlene Homer at the SGS office if you have any queries.

Queen’s and Trent University

Under the Queen’s-Trent Agreement graduate students enrolled at Queen’s in some programs are able to enroll in graduate courses at Trent University and to be supervised by faculty at Trent University. Teaching Assistantships at Trent University may also be available to participating Queen’s graduate students. For more details or questions about the Queen’s-Trent agreement contact the Director of Admissions and Student Services in the Queen’s School of Graduate Studies.

Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Program

The Ontario Visiting Graduate Student Program Plan allows a graduate student who is registered full time in a graduate program in any Ontario university to take graduate courses at another Ontario university for no additional tuition fees. Please contact Darlene Homer at the SGS office if you have any queries.