School of Policy Studies

School of Policy Studies
School of Policy Studies

Frequently asked questions about...

Financial Support for the MPA program

Am I eligible for financial support? 
A limited number of entrance scholarships will be awarded to select applicants whom the School of Policy Studies deems to have the strongest overall application based on undergraduate marks, statement of interest, experience, and letters of reference. These scholarships vary in amount from $1,500 to $15,000.


How do I apply for financial support?
A separate application for scholarships is not required. All qualified candidates who submit a completed admissions application will be automatically considered for an entrance scholarship or endowed awards held by the School of Policy Studies.

Are bursaries available from Queen’s University? How do I apply for bursary support?

Non-repayable grants are available to all Queen’s students who demonstrate financial need. This is based on the following factors: family income, number of dependents in the family, applicant’s assets (including savings), full cost of the program of studies, books and supplies, and basic living costs. Generally, bursary recipients also assess other forms of assistance such as government loans or a personal student loan or line of credit.  These bursaries are applied through Queen’s Student Awards.


Are there special scholarships or other funding designated for International students? How do I apply? Are student loans available to International students?
We have limited funding for international students.  There is one International Tuition Award that is awarded to the international applicant who has the highest academic standing upon admission.  International Students are able to apply for Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS): Foreign students who are studying in Ontario under a temporary resident visa - student study permit, under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) are eligible for the allotted visa student awards. please visit External Awards Offered by Government and Other Granting Bodies within the Graduate Calendar for more details about OGS.  

Information about other sources of funding for international students can be obtained from:

American students who have access to Section 529 savings plans are eligible to utilize these resources while studying at Queen's. 

International students can hold student loans that they may have secured through their home country. Please contact the appropriate student loan agency for further information.