Academic consideration is meant to help you manage a short-term extenuating circumstance that is beyond your control and could affect your academics. This might be a sudden or acute physical or mental illness, serious injury to self or significant others, bereavement, a traumatic event, or other serious personal/family crisis. For this type of extenuating circumstance, find more information on the Student Wellness Services website.
Extenuating circumstances may also include officially representing the university at a sanctioned varsity athletics event (provincial, national, international competitions) or through an invitation to showcase achievement or share an exceptional talent or ability on a provincial, national or international stage as a distinguished guest. For this type of extenuating circumstance, please see the procedures and form below.
For an accommodation to observe a religious holiday, visit the Faith and Spiritual Life website for more information.
Academic Consideration for Students in Extenuating Circumstances Policy
Procedures for excused absences
- Completed the top half of the Request for an Excused Absence for a Significant Event/Activity Form (116 KB). Include course codes, instructor names, and deliverables with specific details (e.g., CHEM 112 midterm on October 1st, BIOL 102 assignment #4 due October 3rd, etc.)
- Obtain a signature under event verification from the Executive Director, Athletics & Recreation or their delegate. Gather additional information that is required, such as travel itinerary and team travel list usually supplied by a Coach or Coordinator.
- Provide signed REASE form and supporting documentation to the appropriate Faculty/School Office for approval.
- Completed the top half of the Request for an Excused Absence for a Significant Event/Activity Form (PDF 116 KB). Include course codes, instructor names, and deliverables with specific details (e.g., CHEM 112 midterm on October 1st, BIOL 102 assignment #4 due October 3rd, etc.).
- Gather all supplemental and supporting documentation (e.g., event/activity name, description, invitation to participate, or Reserve class, event/organization website, schedule, details on nominating/selection process).
- Attach form and all supporting documentation and send to Support Services & Community Engagement (Office of Vice Provost and Dean of Student Affairs) at Gordon Hall or via email@example.com for verification.
- If the request is verified and supported, firstname.lastname@example.org will email REASE form and supporting documentation to the appropriate Faculty/School contact and copy the student so both parties can work together to facilitate the process with instructors etc.
- If a request is then approved by instructor (s), complete and/or submit the academic work per the consideration granted. In some cases, considerations may require a student to complete the course assignment prior to being absent for the event/activity.