Office of the Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs


Student Affairs

site header

Leases and landlords

Read your lease! 

Whether you are a rookie or veteran tenant, signing a lease can be a challenge. There is great value in reading your lease carefully and understanding it well. Some leases contain particular clauses - for example, prohibitions on large gatherings in the home or the inclusion/non-inclusion of the yard, driveway and walkway adjacent to your home.

Queen's has some great resources for students, both online and in person, that can help you to maintain a positive relationship with your landlord.

Queen's Student Community Relations 

Call 613-533-6745, browse the website or visit the office Mitchell Hall 202.

You can have your lease reviewed by coordinator Joan Jones, and ask any questions about property standards, sublets, leases, and essential Kingston services.

Online, you can find similar information as well as links and resources to other important organizations. Use the Student Community Relations website as a quick reference for all the information available. 

Landlord and Tenant Board

This is an independent provincial agency whose role is to mediate and adjudicate disputes between landlords and tenants, and educate landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities.

The website includes information for landlords and tenants about leaving leases early and eviction proceedings. 

The Board also runs a Customer Service telephone line (1-888-332-3234) whose representatives can provide you with information (but not legal advice) regarding Ontario's Residential Tenancies Act.