Office of the Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs


Student Affairs

site header

International students 

International students may face unique situations because of their status as temporary residents, and can feel lost during emergencies because of their lack of familiarity with the country.  The Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) has a web page devoted solely to health and safety for incoming international students.

International students looking for guidance or help adjusting to life in Canada can access cross-cultural counselling through Student Wellness Services (formerly HCDS).Call 613-533-2893 for an appointment with Arunima Khanna.

Additionally, QUIC offers non-academic advising to international members of the Queen's community.  Stop by QUIC (in the John Deutsch University Centre), Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 4:30 pm (no appointment necessary), if you have questions or concerns.

QUIC is your best resource for safety planning information; but in the meantime, here are a few tips for international students in Canada:

  • International students who run into trouble with the law may face additional penalties and challenges due to their status as temporary residents.  Also, having a problematic legal record makes applying for future Canadian visas more difficult.
  • Don't use your passport as your main form of identification in everyday life, to avoid losing it or having it confiscated or stolen.  Students who don't have drivers' licenses or other accepted forms of identification, can apply for the Ontario Photo Card from the Ontario government.  The ID costs $35 and is accepted as a valid form of identification for anyone 16 years of age or older.
  • In the case of an emergency, contact emergency services (Police, Fire, and/or Ambulance services) by calling 911. The phone operator will continue talking with you until help arrives.  For other emergency contact information, see the Safety Resource List.

Any questions can be directed to the International Student Advisers at QUIC.