Student Awards


Student Awards

site header

FAQs - Admission Awards

Major Admission Award Questions

What marks do I need to submit?

Ontario Students:

Students studying in an Ontario High School must submit ONE of the following:

  • A Credit Counselling Summary
  • A Student Status Sheet

The document submitted should include:

  • All previously completed course marks - grade 9 through last completed year.
  • November grades for those courses you are currently enrolled in.
    • If your November grades are not included in your Credit Counselling Summary or Student Status Sheet you will be required to submit an additional document with your current November Grades – a report card, or hand written on an unofficial transcript or on school letterhead – signed by a school official.

Non-Ontario Students:

Students studying in a Non-Ontario High School must submit ALL of the following:

  • An Unofficial High School Transcript - grade 9 through last completed year.
  • November grades for those courses you are currently enrolled in.
  • A list of all courses to be taken during the 2020-2021 academic year.

Current year courses and November grades may be hand written, together or on separate documents, on either an unofficial transcript, report card, or on school letterhead – signed by a school official.

All Students:

Do not submit multiple copies of the same grades. It is expected that students have a cumulative average of 90% or higher throughout high school in order to be competitive in our Major Admission Award competition.

I wish to submit the Major Admission Award application online. We are told that we won’t get our OUAC numbers for applying to universities until late November. Will I be able to apply by the December 1 deadline?
We have consulted with the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC). According to their timelines, High Schools in Ontario will be in a position to provide students with their PIN to access the OUAC application on or before November 20. Please apply for admission to Queen’s as soon as you receive your PIN. Students would still have time to access their Queen’s Student Portal - SOLUS and submit the Major Admission Award application if they apply for admission to Queen's via OUAC by Friday November 20.
It is recommended to prepare your responses to the MAA application in advance of submitting online in SOLUS. The practice application contains the exact questions that will appear on the online MAA application. There will not be any additional questions. This practice application can be found here.
I attend school in another country, can I still apply for the Major Admission Award?
The Major Admission Awards are available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Eligible applicants may be attending high school in Canada or internationally.
I have been offered early admission and received a scholarship offer, does this mean I am no longer eligible for a major admission award?
No - applicants who receive an early offer of admission are still being considered for the Major Admission Awards Program. Results can be viewed on your SOLUS Student Centre in late February.
Do I need to submit other supplementary admission requirements, if I have been nominated for the Chancellor’s Scholarship?

Yes, students who have applied for Major Admission Awards, including the Chancellor's, must fulfill all admission requirements for the desired program(s) that are being applied to. Review Admission Requirements.

I have attended/taken classes part-time through a different Secondary School or Educational Institution than my Full-time high school, does it matter which school I receive the nomination from for the Chancellor’s Scholarship?

Yes, In order to be considered for a Chancellor’s Scholarship, you must receive the nomination from the high school where you most recently attended full time studies. Nominations from institutions where you have been enrolled in part-time studies will not be accepted.

I am taking a gap year between high school and university, am I still eligible for the Major Admission Awards?

Yes, you may still apply for the Major Admission Awards. However, students who wish to apply for the Chancellor’s Scholarship must receive a nomination from their prior full-time high school. As there are restrictions on the number of nominees per school, It is up to the discretion of the High School Official whether to nominate a prior student over a student that is currently enrolled.

I am a student from Quebec. Do I receive the Chancellor's nomination from my high school or my CEGEP?

A student from Quebec may receive a Chancellor's nomination from either their prior full time high school OR their current full time CEGEP.

General Admission Award Questions

What if I receive an admission scholarship with my offer of admission, but my grades decrease after of my final exams?
As long as you meet the academic requirements identified in your offer of admission, the original admission scholarship offered to you will be honoured.
How do you calculate my average for a course that I'm repeating?
Please refer to the Undergraduate Admissions website for information on the calculation of averages for repeated courses.
Can I defer my award if I choose to take a year off before I go to university?
Information about a deferral of admission can be found on the Undergraduate Admissions website.

If Undergraduate Admission grants a deferral of your admission to the program of study that you have accepted (e.g. Commerce), then your scholarship will also be deferred.

Please note this is for merit-based scholarships only.

Any award that has financial need criteria cannot be deferred. You must re-apply for need-based assistance through the Admission Bursaries and Awards application in the year you are planning on entering Queen's.

My award offer says that I must have a full course load to receive my award. What does full course load mean?
To remain eligible for funding in an academic term the student must be registered as a full-time student (60% course load - typically 18 units in Fall/Winter).

To be eligible for renewal of an academic-based award a student is expected to be registered in an 80% course load (typically 24 units in Fall/Winter).

I received a Queen’s award, and when I view the status of my application in SOLUS my original award offer is no longer there but there is another award with a different award name. What happened?
Once we have received confirmation of your acceptance to Queen’s, the Student Awards Office may convert an award you were offered to a specific named award. Your Queen's award has been replaced by a specific named award. Although the name of your award has been changed, the total value of your award has not been decreased.
Is there someone I can thank for my award?
If you received a donor sponsored award then we will provide you with further information about how you can express your appreciation in the coming weeks. Donors enjoy learning more about the recipients of their awards; this acknowledgement provides them with a first-hand understanding of what their gift has meant to you.
I received a work study entitlement. What do I do now that I have been granted an entitlement?
Specific information detailing how you can search and apply for Work Study positions will be emailed to your Queen’s email account at the end of July.

Admission Bursary Questions

Because the bursary program is need-based, funding is directed to those students with the greatest financial need who have the fewest options to fully finance their education. Students who receive a bursary are expected to access government student financial assistance (e.g. OSAP).
For most students and their families, the financing of your Queen's education will involve a variety of resources. Very few families use only one source, although you and your families will bear the greatest responsibility for your education. We do acknowledge for some families their “willingness” to assist their son or daughter may be limited by their “ability” to fully finance their university education. Decisions regarding eligibility for Queen's bursary assistance are based on the parent's ability, not willingness, to assist their son or daughter.

The University will assist students who demonstrate the highest financial need and the fewest options to finance their university education.

Yes. To do so you need to submit a written appeal by the designated dates. Your appeal should give information that was not included on your original application.
Bursaries are granted to students based on their current level of financial need. If you are not able to attend in a given year you cannot defer the bursary to use in another year. You may apply for a General Bursary when you are a registered student at Queen's and your need will be evaluated based on your circumstances at that time.
No, if you indicate on your Admission Bursary Application that you want to be considered for Work Study it will have no bearing on your assessment for bursary funding.
If there is no explanation provided to describe the type of error message, the most likely cause is the "time-out" feature. The Admission Bursary Application will "time-out" after 30 minutes of inactivity. You may wish to compose and save your text responses in a word processing document, then "cut-and-paste" into the Admission Bursary Application.