Student Awards


Student Awards

site header

FAQs - Government Assistance

My home province is not Ontario. Do I apply for OSAP?
No. To qualify for OSAP you must be considered a resident of Ontario as defined by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. However, you may apply to the Ministry or Department of Education (or equivalent) in your home province for information regarding government assistance. See Government Aid for a link to your province's financial assistance web page.
When should I apply for OSAP? (Government assistance from other Provinces/Territories?

You can apply for OSAP as soon as the application is available. A typical application will normally take two weeks to process (depending on the time of year), while an application which requires special consideration may take eight to ten weeks to process.

Application deadlines are published annually in the OSAP application package or on the OSAP web site. The recommended deadlines can be found in the Dates and Deadlines section of the OSAP information on the Student Awards website. Students are advised to apply for OSAP by the beginning of July. The deadline to apply is 60 days before the end of your study period.

Out-of-Province: generally, applications in each province/territory will be available in April-June for study in September. Deadlines vary – please refer to your province/territory’s government student financial assistance program for further information.

How many courses must I take in order to be eligible to apply for OSAP? (Government assistance from other Provinces/Territories)?

Undergraduate Students:

You must be enrolled in a minimum 60% course load in order to be eligible to apply for full-time OSAP assistance.* At Queen's University, a 60% course load is 9 credit units in every term of study (i.e., 9 credit units fall term, 9 credit units winter term, and 9 credit units summer term). No averaging of course loads is permitted. If a student is taking 80% of a full course load in the fall term (12 credit units) and 40% (6 credit units) in the winter term, the course load cannot be averaged to equal 60% to meet the minimum course load requirement. (Please note: 6 credit unit F/W credit course equals 3 credit units fall; 3 credit units winter.)

*Students who have a permanent disability as defined by OSAP are eligible to apply for OSAP in a minimum 40% course load (i.e., 6.0 credit units in every term of study).

Graduate Students:

Graduate Students must be enrolled full-time (100%). Graduate students with a permanent disability may be enrolled part-time (50%)

Non-Ontario students:

In most jurisdictions the course-load eligibility is defined as above. Although, in some jurisdictions the registration requirement may be a minimum 80% course load to be eligible (e.g. NFLD, Quebec).

Does government student financial assistance cover all of my educational and living costs?

No. Assistance under the program is intended only to supplement the financial resources available to students from their parents or spouses (if applicable), scholarships/awards, Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP’s) or from other sources.

In assessing tuition fees, books and equipment, and basic living expenses, the maximum assistance available through OSAP for a single undergraduate student in 2021-22 is $405 x number of program weeks ( i.e. $405 x 34 weeks = $13,770): September-April. The maximum assistance available through OSAP in 2021-22 for a single graduate student is $405 x number of program weeks (i.e., $405 x 52 weeks = $21,060): September-August. The maximum assistance available through OSAP for a sole support parent or married student is $695 x number of program weeks..

Funding thresholds will vary among provincial/territorial jurisdictions.

Is it possible to receive only the non-repayable OSAP grants?
Students may choose to receive only the grant(s) for which they are eligible and decline the Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan. This option is available only for students completing an OSAP Application for Full-Time Students. Interested students must complete the “Request for Grant Only Funding” form and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar (Student Awards).
Is my OSAP funding remitted directly to Queen’s University and applied as a payment to my tuition/fees OR is my OSAP funding deposited into my bank account?

Students that have a complete OSAP application will have their enrolment confirmed by Queen’s at the start of their Fall study period and again at the start of their Winter study period. This will be communicated to OSAP and trigger the release of your OSAP funds at the beginning of each term.

All or a portion of your OSAP will be sent directly to Queen’s on your behalf to cover up to the cost of your term tuition and student fees.

The amount of your OSAP remitted to Queen’s will not exceed the charges for tuition and student fees. Any remaining OSAP will be deposited to your personal bank account. It is important for you to understand that the cost of residence is not included in the OSAP amount remitted to Queen’s. Students are responsible for paying for residence fees either from their own resources, or from any remaining OSAP that is deposited to their personal bank account.

Students should monitor their SOLUS student account to verify the OSAP deposit has been received by Queen’s before making an online payment for any remaining balance on their account by the respective tuition due dates. We recommend that students wait until mid September (Fall term) and mid January (Winter term) so that you can confirm how much OSAP has been remitted to Queen’s before you pay the balance owing for the charges on your SOLUS Student Account.

Is the full amount of OSAP Repayable? (Government Student Financial Assistance)

For qualifying students, a portion of OSAP comes in the form of upfront non-repayable grant assistance.

Students are only required to repay the amount of integrated loan they receive, beginning six months after they cease to be enrolled in full-time studies. There are programs (i.e., revision of repayment terms, Repayment Assistance Plan, etc.) available to assist with repayment of OSAP loans for qualifying students. Further information is available on the OSAP website.

Winter term tuition and the Student Assistance Levy (SAL) is due in full by January 10th, what if I have not received my second instalment of OSAP in time to make this payment - what are my options?
If you have been assessed to receive OSAP assistance, you will receive an automatic deferral to January 31st. (Payment of Winter tuition and the SAL will not be due until January 31st.)
My government student financial assistance is paid in two instalments, yet, fall tuition and residence fees and all student activity fees are due in full on September 30th - what are my options? Will I receive service charges?

Undergraduate students receiving OSAP will automatically receive a waiver of service charges up to 40% of their overall OSAP entitlement conditional on students processing their first OSAP instalment. Please note changes to an OSAP assessment will also change the amount of the service charge waiver (i.e., reducing course load, opting out of student activity fees, etc.). OSAP information is received regularly from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and updated on SOLUS to provide the most recent OSAP information.

Out-of-province undergraduate students receiving government assistance may apply for a waiver of service charges up to the amount of their second instalment. Students must bring proof of the amount of assistance to the Office of the University Registrar (Student Awards). If proof is not available, students may apply for a retroactive waiver of service charges at the time of processing the second disbursement of government student financial assistance (generally in January).

Where can I find information about OSAP Performance Indicators?
Refer to the Queen's University Office of Institutional Research and Planning website on the OSAP Indicators page.
For Ontario students receiving full-time OSAP, what is a Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)?

The MSFAA is a lifetime loan agreement that will cover Ontario students for the lifetime they are in full-time postsecondary studies.

The MSFAA is printed from your OSAP account along with the other supporting documentation after you have submitted your application. The MSFAA is completed and then taken to a designated Canada Post outlet. You will be asked to present (a) your Social Insurance Number card (or proof of SIN) and (b) a piece of [your] government-issued photo identification (i.e., Ontario driver’s license or Canadian passport).

Funding will then be either remitted to Queen’s and/or deposited directly into your bank account once the Student Awards Office confirms your full-time enrolment. The Student Awards Office will be confirming full-time enrolment through an electronic process. For most students this will happen at the start of the academic year of study (i.e. September) and then again for the winter term (i.e. January).

I have forgotten my OSAP OAN and/or my OSAP Password. What do I do?
If you have forgotten your OAN please visit the Forgot Your OAN and/or Password section of the OSAP website to retrieve your OAN or password (you will need your Social Insurance Number and the answers to the challenge questions you created when you submitted your first OSAP application).

For security reasons, your OAN or temporary password cannot be provided over the telephone, email or via fax.

If you are not able to access your OAN (or Password) from the Forgot Your OAN? and/or Password tool, you can visit the Ontario Financial Aid Office at the post-secondary institution (university or college) closest to your current residence. You must present your present (a) Social Insurance Number card (or proof of SIN) and (b) a piece of government-issued photo identification (i.e., driver’s licence or passport).

If you are outside of Ontario or are unable to visit an Ontario post-secondary institution you must complete the Request for an OSAP Access Number (OAN) form (or Request for a Temporary OSAP Password form) and send it to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. The Ministry will send you your OAN (or password) by mail.

Where can I find out more about Waiver of Service Charges?

Please refer to the Office of the University Registrar's website for tuition and fee payment deadlines.

For undergraduate students receiving government student assistance funding (e.g. OSAP), please visit the Registrar's website for further information about the waiver of service charges.