Student Conduct

Student Conduct

site header

About Complaints

How to make a report of non-academic misconduct

Complainants do not need to have been involved in an incident where misconduct occurred. Witnesses can submit an incident report, either with or without the knowledge of the person who allegedly committed an offence or the person against whom the offence was allegedly committed.

Students, staff, faculty and members of the public who wish to make a report of alleged non-academic misconduct by an identified Queen's student can contact:

  • Campus Security and Emergency Services at 613-533-6733 (24/7 non-emergency).
    In an emergency situation, please call 911 or the Queen's University 24/7 Emergency Report Centre at 613-533-6111

    Note: Campus Security cannot accept anonymous reports. If you are concerned about identifying yourself, contact the Office of the University Ombudsman for advice. The University Safe Disclosure Policy may apply.

Reports of alleged non-academic misconduct are also made through:

Off Campus Conduct: Anyone wishing to file a complaint under the Student Code of Conduct about off-campus conduct must keep in mind that the university’s ability to address conduct that occurs off campus grounds is limited by the "Scope" provisions of the Code, which require that the conduct be substantially and directly associated with Queen’s University beyond the fact that the alleged perpetrator(s) of the conduct is a Queen’s student.

What happens to a report of misconduct?

Reports of alleged misconduct are sent by Campus Security, Athletics and Recreation and Residences to the Non-Academic Misconduct Intake Office (NAMIO).

The NAMIO receives reports of alleged misconduct from university officials and refers cases to the appropriate Non-Academic Misconduct (NAM) unit:

The NAMIO may alternatively refer the report to the university's student-at-risk or threat assessment protocols in the interest of student health and safety.

Find more on the NAMIO...

Reports or allegations of non-academic misconduct do NOT appear on student records or transcripts.

Parents and guardians are NOT informed by the university of a complaint of non-academic discipline that is made against a student unless express consent is given by the student (in writing from their Queen's e-mail).

Information is maintained by the Non-Academic Misconduct Intake Office according to the terms of the Code of Conduct policy.

If you are accused of non-academic misconduct

Students who are the subject of a complaint will be contacted – likely by email – by the NAM unit that is investigating the reported misconduct.

Respondents to a complaint can contact the Office of the University Ombudsman, which provides independent, impartial and confidential advice to students as well as procedural support. There are many other support services for students who are accused of non-academic misconduct.

Under the Code of Conduct, the complaint process must, at a minimum, contain the following components of procedural fairness:

  • Information: Respondents have the right to be advised, in writing, of the allegations.
  • Rule against bias: Respondents have the right to have a case heard and decided by an unbiased decision-maker.
  • Notice: Respondents have the right to formal written notice of any proceeding. Notice should include the nature of the proceeding, including whether the proceeding will be conducted by way of written submission, oral presentation, or both.
  • Disclosure: Respondents have the right to disclosure of the evidence and information to be relied upon by the other party in the case.
  • Representation: Respondents have the right to the assistance of a University Dispute Resolution Advisor (through the Office of the University Ombudsman) or any other person, including a legal representative.
  • Participatory Right: Respondents have the right to present evidence and arguments in response to an allegation of non-academic misconduct.
  • Reasons: Respondents have the right to be provided with written reasons for the decision made in their case.

Complaints against other parties (non-students)

Anyone who wishes to report the misconduct of a member of the Queen's community who is not a student, should contact the University Ombudsman for assistance and to review options