Student Wellness Services

Student Wellness Services

site header

Financial Assistance

Students with disabilities at Queen's may be eligible for various awards, bursaries, government programs and financial assistance. Information and links are indicated below.

Queen's Student Awards
Information about government assistance programs such as Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), Queen's bursary support, and awards and scholarships specifically for students with disabilities is available through Queen's Student Awards.  

Students with disabilities at Queen's who are receiving OSAP (minimum of $1) may be eligible for funding through the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) and or the Canada Student Grant for Service and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE). These provincial and federal grants are available to help full and part time university students with the costs of their disability-related educational services and equipment.

To be eligible, students must:

  • Identify as a student with a temporary or permanent disability
  • Be eligible for OSAP funding - at least $1
  • Have submitted to OSAP/Student Awards the Disability Verification Form completed by their health care provider
  • Be enrolled in courses at Queen's University
  • Have their requested services and equipment approved by their QSAS Advisor


Students must first confirm that they are OSAP eligible by logging onto their OSAP account or contacting Student Awards.

Once their OSAP eligibility is confirmed, students must then meet with their QSAS advisor to discuss their needs.  QSAS advisors help students identify equipment and services they may require in support of their accommodation and access needs which may be eligible for BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding support.

Eligible Expenses

QSAS supports BSWD/CSG-PDSE applications for expenses that (a) result specifically because the student is enrolled in university studies, and (b) are required to address a specific accessibility or accommodation need because of their disability.

Ineligible Expenses

QSAS does not support BSWD/CSG-PDSE applications for expenses that:

  • are associated with day-to-day necessities (e.g., data or mobile phone plans, housing)
  • are incurred by all students (e.g., tuition, textbooks, a computer if required by their studies)
  • would be incurred by the student even if they were not in university (e.g., hearing aids, eyeglasses)

After the student and the QSAS advisor agree on services and/or equipment which the student require, QSAS will coordinate the following:

  • student referral to the Adaptive Technologist for technology recommendations, if applicable.  After speaking with the student, the Adaptive Technologist will communicate their recommendations and accompanying price quotes directly to the QSAS advisor
  • Completion of the BSWD/CSG-PDSE application form
  • Submission of the BSWD/CSG-PDSE application to Student Awards

Student Awards will confirm that (a) the student is OSAP eligible and in good standing, and (b) that a completed OSAP Disability Verification Form is on file.


Students must ensure their contact and banking information is correct in SOLUS. Funds may be delayed if this information is missing or incorrect.

Students must submit directly to Student Awards all receipts for equipment or services purchased through the BSWD/CSG-PDSE in accordance with the following timelines:
  1. Computers, software or assessments purchased before the start of the school year and approved by the QSAS advisor once the school year has commence - receipts must be submitted with the BSWD application.
  2. Equipment approved after the school year has commenced - receipts must be submitted 30 days after the student receives the BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding.
  3. Services approved after the school year has commenced - receipts must be submitted within 30 days after the end of the study period.

Time Log - Counselling or Tutoring
Students approved for services delivered on an hourly basis, such as counselling or tutoring, are required to complete a Time Log and submit this along with their receipts to Student Awards

Frequently Asked Questions:

I had my psycho-educational assessment updated in the summer before starting classes at Queen's.  Do I qualify for BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding to pay for the assessment?
Yes, if the report is dated within 6 months before the start of the study period (e.g., 6 months before September) and if you submitted a copy of your assessment to QSAS

Additional Assessment
I already have accommodations through QSAS for which I submitted documentation. However, I think I may have ADHD or a learning disability. Can I get BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding for an assessment?
QSAS can approve BSWD/CSG-PDSE applications for the assessments it needs to determine how best to accommodate you. Further assessment may not be necessary if the documentation already on file is sufficient to determine the best accommodations. Before proceeding with an assessment, please speak with your QSAS advisor or the QSAS Intake Coordinator.

My computer is broken and I need a new one. I am a student with a disability who receives OSAP. Can I get BSWD/CSG-PDSE funding to pay for a new computer?
All students are generally expected to have a computer (or access to a computer) when taking either online or in-person university courses. QSAS can approve BSWD applications for a computer only when a student requires it to use specific adaptive software like Kurzweil or Dragon Naturally Speaking, for example. Please speak with your QSAS advisor if you have access needs that my be addressed by adaptive software. They can refer you to the Queen's Adaptive Technologist for an assessment.

Taxi Bursary
The Queen's AMS established the AMS Taxi Bursary to assist students with temporary disabilities (e.g., broken foot) who require taxi assistance to and from classes and campus. To apply, students must supply a doctor's note or other verification of temporary disability. Please note: The AMS Taxi Bursary is limited.
More information can be found at Queen's Student Awards and the AMS.
Tuition Refund Appeal
Information concerning tuition refund appeals is available via Queen's Student Awards.