Students are responsible for reviewing and applying their accommodations to the appropriate courses at the start of each semester.
If a student does not apply their template classroom accommodations, QSAS may not be able to provide accommodations after the fact for any deliverable that has already passed and in which accommodations were not provided.
Depending on the documentation provided, students will either receive permanent or interim accommodations.
Reviewing and Applying Accommodations
Students with interim accommodations that have expired or about to expire, and who would like to re-access those accommodations, must submit documentation that meets QSAS documentation criteria through our secure Ventus Student Portal using their Queen’s NetID and password.
Students are encouraged to review the QSAS statement of confidentiality before uploading documentation.
Experiencing technical difficulties? Please contact us directly
It is the student’s responsibility to apply their accommodations at the beginning of each term. If a student does not complete this step, QSAS cannot retroactively provide accommodations for any class deliverable in which accommodations were not provided.
- To apply your template classroom or assessment accommodations, follow the instructions on the Ventus Student Portal.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Equal access and equal opportunity to participate in the academic experience
- Be treated with dignity and respect
- Appropriate, individualized accommodation
- Protection and security of their confidential information
- Timely service provision, consistent with notice provided by the student
- Prompt, equitable investigation and resolution of complaints
- Notify the university, through QSAS, of any changes to medical diagnosis or changes to program of study that may require a review of your accommodations.
- Provide this notification as early as possible, respecting any administrative deadlines (e.g., semester-specific deadlines to register for accommodated exams)
- If receiving interim accommodations, and you wish for the accommodations to continue, provide QSAS with documentation meeting the QSAS documentation criteria
- Collaborate with QSAS staff, instructors or graduate supervisors, Faculty/School office staff, SGS or others, as necessary, to develop, implement and update your academic accommodation plan
- Communicate your accommodation plan to your instructors, graduate research supervisors, faculty administration, the Exams Office and others as appropriate and where classroom learning/evaluation accommodations are needed, with as much advance notice as possible
- QSAS cannot retroactively provide accommodations to any in course deliverable (i.e., test, exam, assignment) if this step is not completed
- Notify QSAS immediately of difficulties in the implementation of any aspect of your academic accommodation plan
- Notify instructors in advance of deadlines with any intent to use an accommodation that would provide extra time, whether on assignments or on tests/exams
Find out more about educators’ rights and responsibilities around accessibility.