Education: (Professional, Online: Diploma & Master's)
"The program is creative and one of a kind. Having inquiry skills is key nowadays, as the time of memorizing and repeating is gone. We expect students to search, explore, ask, share, and look at things from different perspectives, and therefore it’s important for us to have this skill and pass it on to the students. This program will help us do so, as inquiry is the backbone of the program. For teachers confronted by cultural differences, it’s important to find ways to share new information and ideas on how to acknowledge these differences in the classroom.”
MAHA AL MAKHAMREH, CURRENT STUDENT
Our online, part-time programs are designed for educators who wish to improve their professional practice and/or take their career to the next level.
The Graduate Diploma in Professional Inquiry consists of 5 online courses. The Professional Master of Education consists of 5 graduate diploma courses and 5 professional master's courses (3 courses in a concentration, a course in organizational leadership and an elective).
There are two options: (1) enrol in the graduate diploma program & then decide whether to apply to the professional master's; (2) enrol directly in the professional master’s degree program.
Courses are approximately 36 hours online with your professor & 70-100 hours independently. To accommodate work schedules, the courses are 7 weeks in summer and 10 weeks in fall and winter.
Queen’s is unique in offering a diploma in professional inquiry, which is critical for informing teaching practice and student learning in both public and private education sectors. The master’s program offers concentrations in Aboriginal Education, Assessment and Evaluation, Classroom Specialist, Literacy, and Teaching Abroad.
The programs are flexible and courses are interactive. Students join a vibrant online learning community, and are guided and supported by faculty and staff.
Career paths – employment opportunities
While our online graduate programs attract many teachers and education administrators, they also draw professionals from other sectors. Professionals who have education and leadership responsibilities and wish to improve their professional practice come to the program from sectors such as health sciences, engineering, business, social services and the military.
Diploma: Part-time, minimum 10 months .
Degree: Part-time, minumum 10 months
Method of Completion
Coursework, participation in online discussions, and group exercises. Of a total of 36 hours of instructor supported learning, for each hour students will be required to invest 2-3 hours of extended reading, thinking and collaboration, or the production of materials.
- Self- Regulated Inquiry and Learning
- Collaborative Inquiry
- Program Inquiry and Evaluation
- Integrated Planning, Instruction, and Assessment
- Innovation in Teaching and Learning
- Organizational Learning
- Knowledge Translation and Organization
- Organisational Leadership
- Aboriginal Leadership and Knowledge in the School and Classroom
- Policy and Models in Canadian Aboriginal Education: From Residential Schools to Culture-Based Education
- Aboriginal Languages and Language Teaching
Assessment and Evaluation
- Using Classroom and Large-Scale Assessment Data
- Planning and Implementing Classroom Assessment
- Conducting Quality Program Evaluations
- Innovative Curriculum Planning
- The Connected Classroom
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Theoretical and Historical Foundations
- Component Skills
- Effective Intervention
- Culture, Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Approaches to Professional Learning
- Professional Community Membership
- A baccalaureate degree from a recognized university.
- Graduation with a B- graduating average or higher (70% graduating average or a ranking in the top third of the graduating class where number grades are not available.)
- Under exceptional circumstances, consideration will be given to highly motivated individuals with relevant field experience who do not meet the B- requirement.
Applicants whose native language does not include English must obtain a minimum English language score of 580 (paper) or TOEFL iBT minimum scores of 88/120 or 237 computer based or IELTS Band 7 or higher.
Key Dates and Deadlines
Application Deadline: July 31 for September admission, October 30 for January admission, May 13 for July admission.
Program Start date: September, January, July
Degree Level Expectations - Diploma (63 KB)