Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
The Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) promote excellence in graduate studies at the master's and doctoral levels. OGS awards are merit-based scholarships available to graduate students in all graduate disciplines in Ontario Universities. Eligible students apply for OGS through each university where they may be enrolled in 2016-17.
The Queen’s University OGS competition is open to any eligible graduate student registered in or any eligible applicant to, a graduate program in the School of Graduate Studies. The Queen’s OGS award must be taken up at Queen’s; it is not transferrable to another institution. Please see the information below about How to Apply for a Queen’s University OGS.
Scholarship Value: $15,000 for one academic year, normally paid out in 3 equal installments. The award is not renewable.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada*.
- Enrolled in an eligible post-secondary institution in Ontario in 2016-17.
- Enrolled full time an eligible graduate program in 2016-17.
* Visa Students. Foreign students who are studying in Ontario under a temporary resident visa - student study permit, under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) are eligible for the allotted visa student awards. There will be a separate competition for visa students.
2016-17 OGS Awards for Aboriginal Students
Aboriginal awards: Queen’s University shall allocate up to two 2016-17 OGS awards to Aboriginal graduate students. There is a section on the OGS application for eligible applicants to self-identify as an Aboriginal person and to be considered for one of these awards.
Minimum Academic Requirements for Applicants
- Applicants entering the first or second year of graduate studies at the time of application must have achieved a first-class average, (A- at Queen’s) in each of the last two completed years of study (full time equivalent).
- Applicants entering the third year or beyond of graduate studies at the time of application must have an overall average of at least A- or the equivalent on all graduate courses completed.
- When master’s or doctoral degree marks would typically be used for calculating an applicant’s academic eligibility but are not available, for example, because the master’s degree courses were graded on a pass-fail basis, the average will be calculated using the most recent, available, undergraduate or graduate marks.
Students who do not meet these minimum should not apply, as they will be disqualified.”
2016-17 Application Deadline
You must submit your completed 2016-17 OGS application on or before the deadline specified by the department/program you are applying to. The deadline will appear in your OGS application manager once you select your program. Note that different programs have different OGS application deadlines.
How do I Apply?
- The OGS application is web-based. In order to ensure maximum functionality, please confirm that your current browser will support the application by going through the browser check and follow instructions as appropriate
- To access the OGS application please click on the link below, and you will be taken to a registration page.
- Follow the instructions below to set up an OGS application account.
- Then follow the instructions below to complete and submit your 2016-17 OGS application.
- The on screen instructions will also help you successfully complete your application. These instructions appear at the top or bottom of the screen, or wherever a button which read “Click for details” appears.