Art, Department of

Formal studies in fine art began at Queen's in 1933 when Goodridge Roberts was named the University's first resident artist. He was succeeded in 1936 by André Biéler, a prominent Canadian painter who became the founding director of the Agnes Etherington Art Centre in 1957. In 1963, a Department of Art History was established at the University, with Gerald Finley as its first head.

Six years later, the department branched out into studio instruction, launching a four-year studio program leading to a Bachelor of Art Education degree, which was subsequently changed to a Bachelor of Fine Art (BFA). Students studying for this degree can specialize in painting, sculpture, or printmaking.

Summer School on the Art and Architecture of Venice, a special feature of the department, was added in 1970 and continues to run in Italy every summer. A Master of Art Conservation program was established in 1974. At the same time, the department changed its name, becoming simply the Department of Art. Since 1979, the department has also offered an MA program in Art History.

In 2001, a donation from benefactress Dr. Winnifred Ross enabled the Department to set up the Digital Imaging Centre in which students can compose and scan their artistic works into digital format for computer and Internet-based research.

The Art Conservation program is located in the Agnes Etherington extension.

Learn more about the Department of Art...