The Chowns are one of Kingston's older families so it is not surprising that they have some connections with Queen's.
George Young Chown was born in Kingston and graduated from Queen's in 1884. When the School of Mining (see Engineering and Applied Science, Faculty of) opened in 1893, he was its Secretary. After serving as Registrar of the university for eight years, Chown was made Treasurer in 1904.
He retired in 1920.
His daughter, May Lavell Chown (1889-1961) also attended Queen's (BA'11) and was Treasurer of the Ban Righ Board. Chown Hall, completed in 1960, is named for her.
George Chown is buried in the Cataraqui Cemetery.