Domesday Book of Queen's University

The Domesday Book of Queen's University was established by Queen's Trustees in 1887, at the suggestion of Chancellor Sanford Fleming, to record the names of the university's benefactors and the main events in its history, which were to be written into the book every year.

The book was kept up to date by Professor James Williamson and his successors, librarian Lois Saunders and Professor Malcolm MacGillivray, until 1924, by which time the innovation of annual Principal's Reports (begun in 1916) rendered it unnecessary.

The book takes its name from the original Domesday Book, a survey of England taken by William the Conqueror in 1086. It is now kept in the Queen's Archives.

See also: