Education, Faculty of

Queen's first Faculty of Education was founded in 1907, but closed in 1920 when the training of teachers in Ontario was centralized in Toronto.

The present Faculty dates from 1965, when the province approved the Duncan McArthur College, a Queen's-affiliated college temporarily located at 131 Union Street (now the site of Stauffer Library).

Named after Duncan McArthur, the former head of Queen's History Department who became Ontario's Minister of Education, the College registered its first 40 students in the 1968-1969 academic year under the deanship of Queen's alumnus Vernon Ready.

By 1971, the college was renamed the Faculty of Education to clarify its relationship to Queen's and moved to its present home in Duncan McArthur Hall on west campus.

The Faculty also operates the Queen's School of English, which offers non-credit courses in English as a second language.

Learn more about the Faculty of Education...