Reverend James Fowler was a professor of botany at Queen's from 1880 to 1907.
He was born in New Brunswick and attended university at Halifax, where he was ordained a Presbyterian minister in 1857. His love of natural history led him to independent study in this field.
Chronic laryngitis compelled him to leave the ministry in 1876. Two years later he had recovered sufficiently to embark on a teaching career. After a stint as a science master in Fredericton Normal School, he was appointed lecturer in natural science at Queen's. He had been recommended for the position by renowned botanist Asa Gray.
An avid collector of botanical specimens, Fowler made a lasting contribution to Queen's by greatly expanding the university's botanical collection. Fowler Herbarium is named in his honour.
He is buried in the Cataraqui Cemetery.