The Physical and Health Education Centre - more commonly known as the PEC - was until 2009 the main sports and recreation facility at Queen's. It had two main, connected buildings: the Gymnasium Building, constructed in 1931 and overhauled in 1971, and the Jock Harty Arena, built in 1971.
The Gymnasium Building held three gymnasia: the Bartlett Gym, named after Frederick Bartlett, first director of the School of Physical and Health Education (1947-1965); the Bews Gymnasium, named after James Bews, physical training director (1908-1937); and the Ross Gymnasium, named in honour of Marion Ross, first director of women's athletic programs (1938-1970).
The building also had a swimming pool, a diving pool, squash and racquetball courts, weight training rooms, a dance studio, a projectile range, administrative offices for the School of Physical and Health Education (now the School of Kinesiology and Health Studies), classrooms, and several research laboratories.
The Jock Harty Arena, attached to the east end of the Gymnasium Building and demolished in 2009, held the university's skating and hockey rink, an indoor running track, and, on its roof, six tennis courts.