The department of Mining Engineering was founded as a central part of the Queen's-affiliated Ontario School of Mining and Agriculture (now the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science). Classes began on October 9, 1893 in Carruthers Hall, which was leased from the university. It was thus the first active department in what evolved into the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.
From its inauguration in 1893, Mining Engineering at Queen's has held a significant position in the Canadian Mineral Industry. Its graduates are involved in all facets of the Canadian mineral industry and can also be found in most major mining operations throughout the world.
In 2009, Robert M. Buchan (MSc '72), one of the most influential figures in Canadian mining history, made one of the largest gifts ever to Queen's and the largest single gift to mining in Canada: $10 million. The funding is used to support students, faculty, and programming. In gratitude for the gift, the Board of Trustees permanently re-named the department 'The Robert M. Buchan Department of Mining.'
Learn more about The Robert M. Buchan Department of Mining...