*Since 2006. For a full list, see my CV.
List by Category/Topic
“Conclusions: Is an Inclusive Multicultural Welfare State a Feasible Project?” In E.A. Koning, ed., The Exclusion of Immigrants from Welfare Programs: Cross-National Analysis and Contemporary Developments (Toronto: University of Toronto Press).
- “Multiculturalism Policy in Canada”, in E.A. Lindquist, M. Howlett, G. Skogstad, G. Tellier, and P. Hart eds., Public Policy Success: Lessons from Canadian Experiences (Toronto: Oxford University Press), pp. 183-205.
- “The Politics of Multiculturalism and Redistribution: Immigration, Accommodation and Solidarity in Diverse Democracies”, in Markus M. L. Crepaz (ed.) The Edward Elgar Handbook on Migration and Welfare. (Cheltenham, UK), pp. 210-229. .With Will Kymlicka and Daniel Westlake
- “The Boundaries of Generosity: Membership, Inclusion and Redistribution” in Markus M. L. Crepaz. ed., The Edward Elgar Handbook on Migration and Welfare (Cheltenham, UK), pp. 102-117. With Allison Harell and Will Kymlicka
- “Multiculturalism: Maximum Misunderstanding” in R. Zapata Barrero, D. Jacobs and R. Kastoryano, eds. Contested Concepts in Migration Studies (London: Routledge), pp. 182-200.
- “The Puzzling Persistence of Racial Inequality in Canada”. Canadian Journal of Political Science, 54(4): 870-891. With Debra Thompson. DOI:10.1017/S0008423921000585
- “Shared Membership Beyond National Identity: Deservingness and Solidarity in Diverse Societies”, Political Studies, 1-23. With Allison Harell, Will Kymlicka and Rebecca Wallace. DOI: 10.1177/0032321721996939.
- “A Distinctive Culture? The Sources of Public Support for Immigration in Canada, 1980–2019”, Canadian Journal of Political Science, 53(4): 821-838. With Stuart Soroka. DOI: 10.1017/S0008423920000530
- “Beyond National Identity: Liberal Nationalism, Shared Membership and Solidarity” in Gina Gustavsson and David Miller, eds., Liberal Nationalism and Its Critics: Normative and Empirical Questions (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp. 205-225. With Will Kymlicka, Allison Harell, and Rebecca Wallace.
- "Just Visiting? The Weakening of Social Protection in a Mobile World" in Anna Triandafyllidou, ed., Multicultural Governance in a Mobile World. (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press), pp. 108-135. With Edward Koning.
- "Ethnoreligious Identity, Immigration and Redistribution", Journal of Experimental Political Science," vol. 4 (3): 173-182. With Stuart Soroka, Matt Wright, Richard Johnston, Jack Citrin and Will Kymlicka. http://doi.org/10.1017/XPS.2017.13 Published online: 13 October 2017.
- "Introduction: The Political Sources of Solidarity in Diverse Societies" in Keith Banting and Will Kymlicka, eds., The Strains of Commitment: The Political Sources of Solidarity in Diverse Societies. (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp. 1-58. With Will Kymlicka.
“Migration and welfare state spending” European Political Science Review, 8 (2): 173-194. With Stuart Soroka, Richard Johnston, Anthony Kevins, and Will Kymlicka.
“Migration, Diversity and the Welfare State”, entry in Frank D. Bean and Susan K. Brown, eds., Encyclopedia of Migration. Amsterdam: Springer,
“Transatlantic Convergence? The Archaeology of Immigrant Integration in Canada and Europe”, International Journal, vol. 69 (1): 66-84.
- “Inequality below the Surface: Reviewing Immigrants' Access to and Utilization of Five Canadian Welfare Programs”, Canadian Public Policy, vol. 39 (4): 581-601. With Edward Koning.
- "Multicultural Diversity and Redistribution" in Keith Banting and John Myles, eds., Inequality and the Fading of Redistributive Politics. (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press), pp. 165-186. With Stuart Soroka and Edward Koning.
- "Is There Really a Retreat from Multiculturalism Policies? New Evidence from the Multicultural Policy Index", Comparative European Politics, vol. 11: 577-598. With Will Kymlicka.
"Minority Nationalism and Immigrant Integration in Canada," Nations and Nationalism, vol. 18 (2): 156-176. With Stuart Soroka.
"Are Diversity and Solidarity Incompatible? Canada in Comparative Context," Inroads: The Canadian Journal of Opinion, vol. 29: 36-48. With Richard Johnston, Will Kymlicka and Stuart Soroka.
- "Is There a Progressive's Dilemma in Canada? Immigration, Multiculturalism and the Welfare State", Canadian Journal of Political Science, vol. 43 (4): 797-820.
- "National Identity and Support for the Welfare State", Canadian Journal of Political Science, vol. 43 (2): 349-377. With Richard Johnston, Will Kymlicka and Stuart Soroka.
- "Canadian Multiculturalism: Global Anxieties and Local Debates", British Journal of Canadian Studies, vol. 23 (1): 43-72. With Will Kymlicka.
"Canada as Counter-Narrative: Multiculturalism, Recognition and Redistribution", in Linda White, Richard Simeon, Rob Vipond and Jennifer Waller, eds., The Comparative Turn in Canadian Political Science (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 2008) pp. 59-76.
“The Ties that Bind: Social Diversity and Cohesion in Canada”, in Keith Banting, Thomas Courchene and Leslie Seidle, eds., Belonging? Diversity and Social Integration in Canada (Montreal: Institute for Research on Public Policy, pp. 561-600. With Stuart Soroka and Richard Johnston.
The Politics of Social Policy
“The Multiple Pathways to Social Policy: Complex Diversity and Redistribution in Canada,” in Elizabeth Goodyear-Grant, Richard Johnston, Will Kymlicka and John Myles, eds., Federalism and the Welfare State in a Multicultural World (Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press), pp. 17-46.
“Framing the New Inequality: the Politics of Income Redistribution in Canada,” in David Green, Craig Riddell and France St.-Hilaire, eds., Income Inequality: The Canadian Story (Montreal: Institute for Research on Public Policy, 2016), pp. 509-536. With John Myles.
- "Introduction: The Fading of Redistributive Politics," in Keith Banting and John Myles, eds., Inequality and the Fading of Redistributive Politics. (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 2013), pp. 1-39. With John Myles.
- "Canadian Social Futures: Concluding Reflections," in Keith Banting and John Myles, eds., Inequality and the Fading of Redistributive Politics. (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 2013), pp. 413-427. With John Myles.
"Introduction: Debating Employment Insurance," in Keith Banting and Jon Medow, eds, Making EI Work: Research from the Mowat Centre EI Task Force. (Montreal: Mowat Centre and McGill Queen’s University Press), pp. 1-34.
"The Canadian Paradox: The Public-Private Divide in Health Insurance and Pensions," in Daniel Beland and Brian Gran, eds., Public and Private Social policy: Health and pension Policies in a new Era. (London: Palgrave Macmillan), pp. 92-122. With Gerard Boychuk.
“The Three Federalisms and Change in Social Policy”, in Herman Bakvis and Grace Skogstad, eds., Canadian Federalism: Performance, Effectiveness and Legitimacy. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, pp. 282-309.
“Assessing Performance: National Versus Regional Patterns”, in Paul J. Quirk, ed. T he North American Experiment: Institutions and Policymaking in Canada and the United States (New York: Oxford University Press) pp. 290-319. With Jack Nagel, Chelsea Schafer, and Daniel Westlake.
- "Inequality, Redistribution and Decentralization in Canada and the United Kingdom," in Michael Keating and Guy Laforest, eds., Constitutional Politics and the Territorial Question in Canada and the United Kingdom: Federalism and Devolution Compared. (London: Palgrave Macmillan), pp. 105-134. With Nicola McEwen.
- "Regionalizing Dimensions of Citizenship: Accommodating Muslim Minorities in Quebec" European Centre for Minority Issues, eds. European Yearbook of Minority Issues, Volume 13 (Leiden: Brill Nijhoff), pp. 151-172. With Beesan Sarrouh.
- "Canada" in Christian Joppke and Leslie Seidle, eds., Immigrant Integration in Federal Countries. (Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press), pp. 78-111.
- "The Three Federalisms Revisited: Social Policy and Intergovernmental Decision-making," in Herman Bakvis and Grace Skogstad, eds., Canadian Federalism: Performance, Effectiveness, and Legitimacy. (Don Mills: Oxford University Press, 3rd edition), pp. 141-164.
- "Remaking Immigration: Asymmetric Decentralization and Canadian Federalism," in Herman Bakvis and Grace Skogstad, eds., Canadian Federalism: Performance, Effectiveness, and Legitimacy. (Don Mills: Oxford University Press, 3nd edition), pp. 261-281.
"Decentralization, welfare and social citizenship in contemporary democracies," Introduction to special issue on "Federalism, Decentralization and the welfare state," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 28 (3): 381-388. With Joan Costa-Font.
“Is a Federal Welfare State a Contradiction in Terms?” in Scott Greer, ed., Democracy and Devolution (London: Palgrave/Macmillan), pp. 44-66.