The Professional Master of Industrial Relations (PMIR) is designed for busy professionals and managers in labour relations and human resources.
The PMIR leads to the same degree as the full-time Master of Industrial Relations (MIR) but is delivered as a part-time program so you can continue working while taking the program. This degree can be completed in 24 months.
A total of 30 credits are required for degree completion, with courses taken across the Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer terms.
Fall/Winter session: Delivered in a hybrid format with two in-person long weekends (Thursday afternoon through Sunday morning), one in September and the other in March, and remote sessions (via Zoom) held on one Saturday per month in between. These weekends will be held at Queen's University campus in Kingston.
Summer session: Held over two non-concurrent long weekends (Thursday morning through Sunday morning) in May and June at Queen’s University campus in Kingston, with some asynchronous work in between.
You will learn:
- Relevant, practical and leading-edge knowledge that can be applied immediately to the workplace;
- A thorough grounding in labour relations and human resources practice;
- An understanding of evolving employment relationships, organizational behaviour, and organizational dynamics;
- Knowledge of the laws governing the individual employment and collective bargaining relationship;
- The capacity to collect and analyze data on current workplace issues and interpret research in the field;
- The in-demand skill set of the new HR/LR professional – leadership, consulting, facilitation, coaching, team building, and communication.
Join us at an upcoming information session to learn more!
Learn more about the requirements for admission.
Schedule and Timetables
The PMIR class schedule is designed to allow professionals to combine part-time graduate studies with full-time work and personal responsibilities.
Learn how the PMIR degree fast-tracks you to a HRPA designation.
Find some of our most frequently asked questions about the PMIR program.
Queen’s University’s main campus is in the city of Kingston, Ontario, which is conveniently situated near Toronto, Montréal, and Ottawa.
Meet the Faculty
Our faculty are internationally recognized experts in their field and prominent policy advisors.