The Indigenous Peers initiative pairs Indigenous upper-year students with first-year Indigenous students to encourage spiritual, mental, physical, and emotional support during first year. The program hopes to enhance your university experience, encourage skill building, and promote balance.
Several resources, supports, and methods are implemented to assist new students with confidence building and adjusting to university life.
These include, but are not limited to:
- Connecting one-to-one with upper-year Indigenous students
- Having a point of contact to answer your questions
- Receiving assistance navigating the university and its resources
- Periodic check-ins with a Mentor and Indigenous Advisor
- Stress Management - effectively managing stress through exam period, when issues arise, when looking for a house/housemates, family issues, health issues (clinics, dentists), etc.
This program is strongly encouraged for first-year students as the transition to university life can be overwhelming at times.
For more information about the program please contact: Jessica Parks, Indigenous Advisor.