Moving in and out can be a stressful experience, but following these guidelines can help alleviate some stress and make moving a more enjoyable experience!
Moving into a new space is very exciting, make sure to follow these tips to make it go as smoothly as possible!
- Coordinate with your housemates to ensure enough space for everyone.
- Introduce yourself to your neighbours, see the importance of this on our first week priorities page.
- On move-in day, conduct an inspection of the apartment, ensure that there are no holes, broken windows, and ensure all appliances and outlets are working properly. Take photos of any damage you notice, this should help prevent the landlord placing the blame on you and asking you to pay for repairs when you move out.
- This could include: cracks in the floor, walls, ceilings, state of kitchen appliances or furniture that came with the house.
- Look at our property standards and tenant tips pages to learn about your rights as a tenant. And, see the Off-Campus Living Advisor's moving in page for more information.
Moving Out: Inevitably, moving out of your space will occur, below you will find that there are many ways to make it easier!
- Start early! This is the easiest way to make moving less stressful whether you're moving into a new house, or moving back home. If you start early, you can sell any belongings you no longer need, or donate items to keep them out of the landfill.
- Look out for Drop or Swap Events around campus to get anything you need and donate things you don’t. This will keep it out of landfills!
- Do not dump garbage in dumpsters or on other people’s properties, not only is this inconsiderate, but this is also a chargeable offence - Click here for more information.
- Be aware of the time stated on your lease to leave the rental unit, it could be 12 midnight, or 12 noon. Be sure to confirm that you have the correct time. If you need extra time, keep in mind that this is not guaranteed and should be discussed with your landlord well in advance for consideration.