Housing Resources

Do you have questions about Off-Campus Housing, the Kingston rental market, and/or the Residential Tenancies Act? The Off-Campus Living Advisor is here to help with all aspects of Off-Campus living. Below is a document package for download that includes great resources, such as:

  • Where to look for housing off-campus
  • City of Kingston resources - Property standards, By-law, garbage and recycling schedules, and Kingston Transit links.
  • Common notices from landlords
  • Housemate search - conflict resolution, housemate agreement, and helping you find the best housemates
  • Questions to ask landlords during showings
  • A PDF copy of the full Housing Talk offered by the Off-Campus Living Advisor
  • Property inspection walk-through form

 Off-Campus Housing Resource Package (PDF, 13.6 MB)

If you are still in need of assistance, or have questions, concerns or comments. Please contact the Off-Campus Living Advisor, today.

Property Insurance

  • If you rent an apartment, you need insurance to protect your belongings.
  • While your Landlord will have insurance, it only protects the building. Your belongings are not covered under their policy.
  • Property or Contents Insurance policies cover movable objects inside your home, or belongings and possessions that are not part of the fabric of your home, such as carpets, curtains, TV and computer.
  • The premium that you will pay for contents insurance can vary widely, depending on what kind of coverage you want, the value of your possessions, and the location of your home.
  • Remember not to undervalue your contents. You want to be able to replace your belongings as quickly as possible in the event of accident or theft. 
  • Companies that insure your car or other family property may offer discounts on a renter's insurance policy.

Liability Insurance

  • Liability Insurance covers your legal liability for negligence that results in bodily harm to someone else, or damage to his or her property.
  • It covers situations like accidental cooking fires and burst pipes due to inadvertently letting the unit get too cold.
  • Without adequate liability insurance, a tenant might be expected to pay the entire cost of re-building a burned premise or repairing the plumbing.
  • Tenants must obtain their own liability coverage. A landlord's liability coverage does not protect them.
  • A lease may also specify the specific dollar amount of liability coverage required. The lease may require the tenant to provide the Landlord with proof of insurance.

Incoming-Outgoing Inspection Comparison Chart

  • At the start of the lease, even if you don’t plan on living in the unit for a few months, a renter needs to generate a report for their landlord documenting the move-in condition of the property.
  • ​Some landlords accompany their tenants on a walk-through and have their own incoming inspection form. This Incoming-Outgoing Inspection Comparison Chart is intended to either supplement the landlord’s efforts or guide tenants whose landlord does not provide a form.

Incoming-Outgoing Inspection Comparison Chart (PDF, 276KB)

Roomers and Boarders Agreement

  • In situations where you share a house with the owner or a member of the owner's immediate family (including a fellow student whose parent owns your house), you are not covered by Ontario’s Residential Tenancies Act.
  • To protect your rights and fulfill your responsibilities, you need to create a contract specific to your situation.
  • In cases of dispute, this contract serves as a legal record, so make sure that you cover everything - not only how much you pay for what, but also space allocation and lifestyle issues.
  • Below you can find the Roomers and Boarders Agreement

Roomers and Boarders Agreement (PDF, 204KB)

Property Code Guide

  • The Off-Campus Living Advisor has prepared an abbreviated Property Code Guide, based on the Residential Tenancies Act, Ontario Fire Code and the Bylaws of the City of Kingston to help you make sure your rental accommodation is up to code.
  • If your dwelling doesn't comply, put your request for repairs in writing to your landlord. Keep a copy of all correspondence for your records.
  • If the problem isn't addressed within a reasonable time you may need to take further action. The Off-Campus Living Advisor can help put you in touch with the right agency.

Property Code Quick Reference

Lease FAQs

Yes. In fact the Ontario Standard Lease is required for tenancies entered into on April 30, 2018 or later. Exceptions to the standard lease are care homes, sites in mobile home parks and land lease communities, most social housing, sharing with the landlord or member of their immediate family or co-operative housing.  However, in all cases, you should have something in writing to formalize your agreement.

Yes your fixed term, the obligation period, expires but your right to continue living in the unit does not end.  You do not have to move out just because your lease has expired. Your landlord might assume you don't know what expire means in this rental situation and may give you a form to sign saying that you must choose between renewing your lease or moving out. You do not have to choose either of these. If you do not choose either of them, your tenancy will automatically continue on a month‑to‑month basis. Sometimes this can be better, for example, if you know you want to stay past the end of the lease but you are not sure you want to stay for another full year.

The exception is units in the Landlord Contract Program (LCP.) LCP units have the right to require new fixed term leases each year.  Not sure if this applies to your unit? Send an email to Student Community Relations.

Unless otherwise agreed, in the additional terms under Section 15 of the Ontario Standard Lease, if there is more than one tenant, each tenant is responsible for all tenant obligations under the lease agreement. You can be required to pay a housemate’s rent, pay for damages caused by the willful or negligent acts of a housemate or their guest, and you can be evicted for a housemate’s behaviour.