Policy From the Trenches – An Inside View of Defence Policy Development During the Pandemic
DateThursday March 24, 2022
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
LocationIn Person: Robert Sutherland Hall Rm 334
Col Trevor Teller will provide an insider’s perspective on his time as the Director Western Hemisphere Policy in the Department of National Defence Policy Group from 2019-2021. As one of the many stakeholders during the pandemic, he was involved in the whole of government response to the crisis. The discussion will focus on the development of policy to support the DND/CAF response to the whole of government effort, the April 2020 Comprehensive Request for Assistance authorization that was granted by the Minister to the CAF in order to assist other government departments and organizations in their pandemic response, and the subsequent activities, policy evolution and considerations that can be linked to the delegated authorization.
notes for this event:
- This In-Person event will be under 'Chatham House Rule', no recordings or video will be available.
- Registration is required to attend and is limited to 35 attendees.
- Brown Bag - No food or drink will be provided, but you are welcome to bring something to the event.
Queen's Event Protocols
Attendees are required to provide QR proof of vaccination upon arrival, and to wear approved masks on entering any building at Queen's. Masks may be temporarily removed while actively eating and drinking only.
- All individuals must be fully vaccinated or approved to attend in-person activities per the Queen’s Vaccination Policy.
- Masks must be kept on when in the meeting or event space.
- Fully vaccinated individuals are permitted to bring food or beverages for their own consumption only and may remove masks temporarily while actively eating or drinking.
Queen’s Secure App: To download the SeQure app for iOS or Android, search for it on your device’s app store.
Vaccination Requirements: https://www.queensu.ca/safereturn/vaccination/vaccination-faq
In 2012, after spending a year at each the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) Kingston and the Canadian Forces College, Col Teller was promoted and posted to 1 Wing Headquarters, Kingston as the A3/Wing Operations Officer. In 2013 he was appointed as the 1 Wing Chief of Staff, a position he held for two years. Lieutenant-Colonel Teller assumed command of 408 Tactical Helicopter Squadron and returned to active flying duty in July of 2015, a position held until the summer of 2017. Following six months of second language training post-command, he deployed to Kuwait as the Air Task Force - Iraq Commander from July 2018 to March 2019. Following his return home and promotion in July 2019, he was appointed as the Director of Western Hemisphere Policy within the Department of National Defence Policy Group. Col Teller joined the Queens University Visiting Defence Fellow Program for the 2021-22 academic year. (click here for more on Col. Teller)