Welcome back Queen’s University students!
Moving into your off-campus property this fall and getting your school year started is an exciting time. With so much going on, it can be easy to forget the best practices to protect yourself and ensure a smooth move in. So what do you need to do?
- Ask your landlord for a copy of your lease agreement if you do not have one – lease agreements will often state what you must do prior to move in and how to do them. It is also a good opportunity to refresh your memory of the terms and conditions of your lease.
- Ensure that your utilities account has been set up and activated for your move in date – check your lease agreement to see which company services your rental property.
- Provide your landlord with any pre-move in requirements they have stated on your lease agreement – landlords may require proof of insurance and verification that utilities have been set up before you can pick up your key.
- Arrange with your landlord and housemates to pick up the keys – All of your housemates should have a key to the front door of your new home.
- Coordinate beforehand who is bringing what for the house and when everyone is moving in – you don’t need multiple microwaves, pot and pan sets, tables, couches, etc. You may need help moving larger items into the property.
- Before moving any items in perform a walkthrough inspection and take pictures of pre-existing damages and house condition – To ensure you are not wrongfully blamed for any damages that were there when you move in. You can download a walkthrough inspection form here.
These simple steps will ensure a smooth move in to your rental property here in Kingston and gives you one less thing to think about during this busy and exiciting time. If you have questions, you can always schedule an appointment with the Off-Campus Living Advisor or contact us at email@example.com