Fire Safety and Prevention

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

It is the landlord’s responsibility to install working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Smoke alarms are required to be installed on every level of the dwelling. A carbon monoxide alarm is to be installed in or near the sleeping areas of the home.

Never disable a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm.

Test all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms once a month.  Press the test button to be sure the alarms are working. Check the date of manufacture to be sure the alarm is not greater than 10 years old.

Review this PDF for fire safety information at University


Review the floor plan of your home so every housemate knows all possible exits from each room. Plan a main exit route and an alternative exit route from each room. 

If you live in an apartment, plan to use the stairs instead of the elevators. If you are unable to use the stairs, notify emergency personnel.

Make sure all exits can be opened easily from the inside. This includes barred doors and windows. Choose security bars that have quick-release devices. Make sure everyone in the home can open them. 

Create a fire emergency plan with your housemates. Know how to safely evacuate your house and choose an outside meeting place. It should be a safe distance from the home and visible from the street. Use this template to make your own evacuation plan

Fire safety at home

Keep candles away from items that can catch fire, such as clothing, books, paper, curtains, or decorations. Check cords for damage such as fraying or nicks. A damaged cord can expose wires and result in a potential shock or fire hazard. Avoid overloading a circuit with 'octopus outlets'. A cord or plug that becomes hot is an indication of an overloaded circuit.

Space heaters are the leading cause of fatal fires in the winter months. They should be located in plain sight and clearly visible. Space heaters must be kept at least 3 feet away from any blankets or curtains. Nothing should ever be placed on top of or touching a space heater. Never leave a space heater on when going to sleep. Space heaters must always be turned off and unplugged when the area being heated is not occupied.

Ensure vents for furnace, hot water tank and clothes dryer are not blocked 

Practice safe cooking techniques

Cooking is the leading cause of house fires. Adopt these tips to minimize the risk of a cooking-related fire.

  • Do not pour water on a grease fire. Cover with a metal lid or baking tray and turn off the heat source. Use baking soda to smother the fire. 

  • Stay present. Never leave cooking unattended. A stovetop fire can start in a flash - keep a close watch on your cooking at all times. Do not leave the kitchen if you have something on the stove or in the oven.

  • Unplug all appliances when they are not in use. 

City of Kingston Home Fire Safety

Visit this link to find information on fire prevention and how to protect yourself

City of Kingston Fire Prevention

Kingston Fire & Rescue's Facebook

Stay up to date with local fire news, and tips on how to prevent common fires in your home!

Kingston Fire & Rescue Facebook

Prevent fires in your home

View this PDF to learn how to prevent the most common causes of fires! Also included a chance to win a $100 gift card!

View File

A note from Kingston Fire

Open this to find a note from the Kingston Fire department about how to stay safe and prevent fires! 

View File