Holidays and summer vacation
If you leave for an extended period, take these extra precautions to protect your home:
- Make sure all doors and windows are securely locked.
- Close all blinds so strangers can’t see inside.
- Hide electronics/other valuables or take these items with you.
- Disconnect power cords and electrical appliances that will not be in use.
- In the winter, turn down your heat, but not below 13 degrees. This will prevent your pipes from freezing while you are away.
- Try to make your home look occupied by leaving a few lights on or setting up lamps on a timer.
- Have your mail delivery temporarily held by Canada Post while you are away.
- Have a trusted friend or neighbour check on your property. Make sure they have a phone number to contact you in case of an emergency.