The test is recommended to all students wishing to take French courses for the first time in the department.
If you have any questions about taking the test, or the results, please contact the French Studies Undergraduate Chair or, call the Department of French Studies: 613-533-2090.
This test has 4 sections: Grammar, Vocabulary, Oral Comprehension and Written Comprehension
The fourth section, Oral Comprehension, has an audio component. Please ensure that your computer volume is not muted. We recommend using earphones (as opposed to your computer speakers). If you are having issues with hearing the audio files, try switching browsers; and if problems persist, contact ITS 613-533-6666.
There are 29 slides and 80 questions that will be marked.
You have 1 hour and 1 attempt to complete the assessment. Once your hour is up, there will be no opportunity to revise or redo a question. Be sure to SAVE your answers as you go.
The test can be done any time at your convenience.
Complete the test
When you've completed the test, be sure to "Save All Responses", then click on "Go To Submit Quiz" where you will have the opportunity to review (time permitting); then, when satisfied, scroll to the bottom and "Submit Quiz".
This will take you to your results page where you will receive your overall score, and your overall feedback; there are 5 possibilities for feedback:
- Recommended course: FREN 106
- Recommended course: FREN 107
- Recommended course: FREN 118
- Recommended course: FREN 150
Year 2-Contact the Undergrad Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please retain your results as you may be required to produce them on the first day of class.
Start the test
To start the French Placement Test, click on the button below which will redirect you to OnQ - Self Registering Course Offerings, and follow the instructions to "enroll in the course":
- Login using your Queen's NetID (first part of your Queen's e-mail address) and password
- Click on "Course Offering Code: French Placement Test / Course Offering Name: French Placement Test 20xx-xx"
- Follow the directions to enroll
- You will now be able to take the test (remember: You have 1 hour and 1 attempt to complete it