Q: Should I take the Placement Test?
A: Before proceeding, please review the information thoroughly under each STEP below.
If you can answer ‘yes’ to any of the statements below, you can proceed directly to the Placement Test.
- I am proficient in French and am planning to pursue a degree plan in French (i.e. will enroll in FREN 150.*)
- I completed Grade 12 Core French and have a strong capability in French.
- I have a background in French Immersion or Extended French.
- I attended a French-language school.
- I have lived in a French-speaking environment.
*The French Placement Test is required for students enrolling in FREN 150. This intermediate French course is the prerequisite for all FREN Plans.
Note: Les étudiant.es francophones ne doivent pas faire le test.
If you are at a beginner level in French, please read about 100-level courses to ascertain whether you should take FREN 106, FREN 107, or FREN 118.
It is primarily your background in French that determines where you should begin, so visit our Getting Started webpage and read each course description carefully to verify which course is suitable for you.
In certain situations, the placement test may be recommended to assess your level of proficiency in French. Consult the Undergrad Assistant if needed.
If you have any questions about taking the test, the results, or any of the information above, please contact the French Studies Undergraduate Assistant at email@example.com.
This test has 4 sections: Grammar, Vocabulary, Oral Comprehension and Written Comprehension
The fourth section, Oral Comprehension, has an audio component. Please ensure that your computer volume is not muted. We recommend using earphones (as opposed to your computer speakers). If you are having issues with hearing the audio files, try switching browsers; and if problems persist, contact ITS 613-533-6666.
There are 29 slides and 80 questions that will be marked.
You have 1 hour and 1 attempt to complete the assessment. Once your hour is up, there will be no opportunity to revise or redo a question. Be sure to SAVE your answers as you go.
The test can be done any time at your convenience.
What to Do When Finished
When you've completed the test, be sure to "Save All Responses", then click on "Go To Submit Quiz" where you will have the opportunity to review (time permitting); then, when satisfied, scroll to the bottom and "Submit Quiz".
This will take you to your results page where you will receive your overall score, and your overall feedback; there are 5 possibilities for feedback:
- Recommended course: FREN 106
- Recommended course: FREN 107
- Recommended course: FREN 118
- Recommended course: FREN 150
- See Advisor - contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please retain your results as you may be required to produce them on the first day of class.
Start the Test
To take the French Placement Test, click on the button below which will redirect you to OnQ - Self Registering Course Offerings.
Once you are on that page, you will need to scroll down and select "French Placement Test FW2022/23."
- This will enroll you into the "course," and you will then be able to access the course via onQ and start the test.
- When prompted, login using your Queen's NetID (first part of your Queen's e-mail address) and password
- Remember: You have 1 hour and 1 attempt to complete the test