Football Gaels earn second win

Football Gaels earn second win

By Communications Staff

October 3, 2016


[Football Gaels]
Queen's Gael running back Jonah Pataki looks for more yardage during Saturday's game in Waterloo against the Warriors. The Gaels won 54-20. (Photo by Steve Brooks)


Running back Jonah Pataki ran all over the Waterloo Warriors (0-6) on Saturday with 133 yards and three touchdowns as the Queen's Gaels (2-3) scored a  54-20 win to move into a tie for a playoff spot in the OUA.

After the Gaels defence forced a fumble the offence would march down the field and Pataki scored on 33-yard run. Later in the opeing quarter Nick Liberatore would kick a field goal from 17 yards out for a 10-0 lead.

In the second quarter Pataki added his second major with a 13-yard scamper and after Waterloo got on the board, the Gaels saw Nicholas Fraser-Greene take an interception 68 yards to the Waterloo seven yard line. From there quarterback Nate Hobbs found Rudy Uhl in the ednzone. At the half, Queen's held a 27-10 lead.

Early in the second half Hobbs connected with Chris Osei-Kusi for a 40-yard catch and run which set up a Liberatore field goal from 11 yards out. After Hobbs kept it himself for a touchdown, Pataki landed his third on the ground for the day. The two teams traded touchdowns and a field goal the rest of the way and the Gaels claimed the victory 54-20.


The Queen's Gaels (6-3-1) had to settle for a 1-1 draw against the No. 2 Ottawa Gee-Gees (9-0-1) on Friday night under the lights at Richardson Stadium. The tie marks the first time this season that Ottawa has not won as they entered the game at a perfect 9-0-0.

Tara Bartram scored just seven minutes in for the hosts but Ottawa netted the equalizer in the 63rd.

On Sunday, the Gaels lost 4-2 on the road to the Carleton Ravens (6-3-2) in Ottawa. Laura Callender and Bartram scored for the Gaels.


The Queen's Gaels (4-3-3) tied the No. 6 Carleton Ravens (8-1-2) 1-1 in Ottawa on Sunday.

The Gaels opened the scoring in the 28th minute through Nicholas Meunier. The Gaels tried to hang on for the result but the Ravens would tie it up in the 83rd minute.


The No. 5 Queen's Gaels (2-2) were defeated by the No. 2 Guelph Gryphons (4-0) on Saturday at Nixon Field 50-5. 

It marks the second straight week Queen's has taken on a top-10 team in the CIS, losing last weekend to the No. 1 Marauders. The Gaels battled valiantly and entered the half down 19-5 with a try by Lauren Murray. However, the Gryphons pulled away after the break and put the result out of reach.


The Queen's Gaels (3-1-1) travelled to London to take on rivals the Western Mustangs (3-1-1) on a rainy, windy day that ended with an 11-11 draw.

On Western’s Homecoming weekend, the Mustangs took the early lead on two penalty goals and Dylan Young hit back with one of his own late in the first half. He would add another shortly after the break to tie it up.

In the 64th minute Western scored the first try of the game but missed the conversion. The Gaels battled back five minutes later and scored a try of their own through Angus MacPhail and the game was all tied up once again at 11-11, with the missed conversion.


The Queen's Invitational women's volleyball tournament took place this weekend at the Athletics and Recreation Centre (ARC). Joining Queen's in the tournament were the Trinity Western Spartans, McGill Martletts and the UNB Varsity Reds.

Trinity Western took the title in dominant fashion, winning all three of their matches in straight sets. The host Gaels finished with a 1-2 record, topping UNB.


The Queen's Invitational men's volleyball tournament took place this weekend at the Athletics and Recreation Centre (ARC). Joining Queen's in the tournament were the Trinity Western Spartans, Montreal Carabins and the McMaster Marauders.

McMaster claimed the tournament title after going 3-0, edging out Trinity Western in five sets on Sunday in a rematch of the CIS final. The Gaels went 0-3.


The No. 6 and No. 10 Gaels women's and men's cross country teams were stateside on Saturday as they travelled to Lehigh, Pa. for the Paul Short Run.

The women's team competed in the Brown Division and came up with a second overall team finish behind Princeton.

The Gaels women's side was led by Beatrice Cigagna who finished the 6km race in a time of 21:40, good for 22nd overall. Behind her was Shannen Murray in 27th and Lindsay Kary in 30th. Braeden Brown was the lone Gael to compete in the open race, finishing 146th in a time of 23:48.

On the men's side, the Gaels competed in the Gold 8km race and finished in 24th overall. The Gaels were led by Eric Wynands who finished 89th in a time of 24:47, followed up by Robert Kanko in 141st and Joey Stel in 161st.

Up next for the Gaels is their own race, the Queen's Invitational set for Saturday, Oct. 15 at Fort Henry.