Gaels advance to men’s hockey OUA East Conference final

Gaels advance to men’s hockey OUA East Conference final

By Communications Staff

February 25, 2019


[Spencer Abraham celebrates his goal]
Queen's Gaels captain Spencer Abraham celebrates after assisting one of Jared Bethune's three goals in the 6-5 win over the Ottawa Gee-Gees on Sunday. (Photo by Robin Kasem)

A quick roundup of Gaels teams and athletes in action over the weekend:


The Queen’s Gaels men’s hockey team went into Ottawa and defeated the Gee-Gees 6-5 on Sunday night to advance to the Queen’s Cup semifinal and OUA East final.

The Gaels got out to a 3-0 start in the first period as Slater Doggett netted a pair of goals on either side of Jared Bethune’s.

If the first period was all Gaels, the second was all Gee-Gees as they solved Queen’s goalie Justin Fazio, scoring twice in the closing five minutes.

Just one minute into the third the Gee-Gees tided the game 3-3 sending the home fans into a frenzy. Just a few minutes later a panel of glass broke, and, after a short delay, both teams entered a 2:40 stretch of pure mayhem. 

First Mason Kohn scored to put Queen’s ahead at 8:36, just a minute and 10 seconds later Ottawa equalized. A mere 22 seconds after that, Bethune was on the receiving end of a long stretch pass from Spencer Abraham that Graeme Brown touched at centre ice. Bethune broke in on the net and scored to put the Gaels on top 5-4. After a Gee-Gee penalty, Bethune scored his third of the night only 51 seconds after his second. Off the ensuing face-off, Ottawa got back to within one 17 seconds later.

After the dust settled the Gaels clamped down defensively and hung on to win 6-5.

 The Gaels will face-off with the Carleton Ravens in the East final and Queen's Cup semifinal round.


The Queen’s Gaels women’s hockey team lost 2-1 in overtime to the Ryerson Rams in Game 3 of the McCaw Cup quarterfinals.

The loss marks the end of the Gaels’ season after a highly-competitive and close series with the Rams. This will be the first time that the Gaels fail to qualify for the U Sports Championship since the 2015-16 season.

After a scoreless first the Gaels were the first on the board through Katrina Manoukarakis at the 6:25 mark. Goalie Stephanie Pascal was busy in both periods but was able to keep the puck out through the first 40 minutes.

With their playoff lives on the line the Rams came out and were finally able to slip one past Pascal 4:56 into the period> With no further goals the game went to overtime and nearly halfway into the extra period the Rams scored to end the series.


The Queen's Gaels (13-6) defeated the visiting Lakehead Thunderwolves (1-17) in straight sets in the Gaels’ final OUA regular season match, winning 25-12, 25-11, 25-23. Arielle Palermo was outstanding throughout and finished with 13 kills and four aces.

The Gaels proved to be too much for the Thunderwolves, easily winning the first two sets. They would put up a fight in the third, leading 23-22, but the Gaels managed to score three straight points to close the deal.

With the win, the Gaels finish in third place in the OUA East and will travel to London face the Western Mustangs, the second see in the west, on Saturday, March 2.


The Queen’s Gaels men’s volleyball team (15-3) got past the RMC Paladins (2-16) for a straight-set win on Friday night at the ARC, 25-17, 25-21, 25-22. As a result the Gaels finish atop the OUA East and will host the Guelph Gryphons, Seeded fourth in the west, on Saturday, March 2.

Prior to the regular season finale, the Gaels honoured their graduating seniors Dylan Hunt and Adam Boljkovac in a special presentation.

Despite only having two wins on the season, RMC battled hard and pushed the Gaels to the end. Dylan Hunt finished with 11 points and six aces.


The fifth-seeded Queen’s Gaels men’s basketball team saw their season come to an end with a 80-63 loss to the No. 1 Carleton Ravens in Ottawa on Saturday.

The Gaels struggled to contain the Ravens’ high-powered offense early on and closed the first half trailing 41-28. The Gaels came out in the second half strong with quick buckets from Jesse Graham and Jaz Bains to cut the Ravens lead to nine but the Ravens scored 10 of the next 12 points and stretched the lead to 63-43 heading into the final quarter.

The Gaels tried to chip away at the deficit but it turned out to be too little too late as the Ravens kept the pressure on Queen’s. The Gaels outscored Carleton 20-17 in the frame but it wasn’t enough as they fell 80-63 to close out their season.

Jaz Bains led the Gaels with 24 points.


The fourth-seeded Queen’s Gaels saw their season come to a close with a 76-70 loss to the fifth-seeded York Lions in Critelli Cup OUA women’s basketball playoff action at the Queen’s ARC on Wednesday night.

The opening frame paved the way for what was in store all evening, a back-and-forth matchup with neither team giving an inch and York held a 16-14 lead after the opening frame.

The second quarter saw Queen's guard Marianne Alarie with the hot hand putting up eight points in the frame to help Queen’s to a 34-32 lead at halftime.

The second half saw the Gaels attempt to pull away from York, opening up a lead to as much as six. The Lions held strong and the Gaels lead was just two heading to the final frame.

The Lions came through in the final frame with clutch shooting to gain control in the matchup, outscoring Queen’s 22-14 in the final quarter.