Queen's Gazette | Queen's University

Search form

Gaels golden at rowing nationals

[Gaels Rowing]
The Queen's Gaels captured four gold medals at the Canadian University Rowing Championships (CURC) this weekend in St. Catharines. (Supplied Photo) 

A quick roundup of Queen’s Gaels student-athletes and teams in action over the weekend:


The Queen’s Gaels men’s and women’s rowing teams competed in the Canadian University Rowing Championships (CURC) this weekend in St. Catharines and came away with four gold medals as well as seven medals in total.

After qualifying rounds on Saturday, the finals for all events were held on Sunday.

In the women’s events Louise Munro claimed gold in the women’s singles in a time of 7:53.660. Bronze medals went to Katherine Walker in the women’s lightweight singles (8:28.47) and Paige Adams and Cassidy Deane in the women’s doubles (7:43.32). Jane Carlton and Greta Chase placed fourth in the women’s lightweight doubles (7:37.92).

In the men’s events the Gaels captured three gold medals.

Leading the way was Gavin Stone who captured the men’s singles in 7:17.37. Nicholas Grubic and Alexander Bernst won the men’s lightweight doubles (6:51.23) and then teamed up with Evan Notley, Daniel Stret and Michaels Wightman for another gold in the men’s lightweight 4+ (6:48.74)

Alexander Bernst added a silver medal in the men’s lightweight singles (7:36.48) and the duo of Michael Bryenton and Tyler Gay placed sixth in the men’s doubles (7:19.42).


The Queen’s Gaels men's rugby team (9-0) defeated the Waterloo Warriors (7-3) 59-16 at Nixon Field in the OUA semifinals on Sunday afternoon. With the win the Gaels have booked their ticket to the OUA Championship for the fifth consecutive season. In all four previous years the Gaels have clashed with the Guelph Gryphons and next week it will be no different as Queen's will host Guelph at Nixon Field.

The Gaels struggled with Waterloo’s grinding physical play early on and the Warriors were able to take advantage with three early penalty goals from Mitch Voralek in the opening 24 minutes for a 9-0 lead.

The Gaels would respond in the half, scoring three tries in the span of 12minutes and taking a 19-9 lead into the break.

In the second half, the Gaels continued to add to the advantage, stretching the lead as far as 45-9 before the Warriors were able to break through for their first and only try of the match. 

Leading the way for the Gaels were Josh Engelbrecht and Trevor Helgason with two tries each, while Dylan Young snuck in for a late try and added seven conversions.


The Queen’s Gaels women’s rugby team placed sixth at the U SPORTS championships, falling 24-15 to the Victoria Vikes in Wolfville, N.S.

For the Gaels, the loss is a conclusion to a long season where they once again proved that they are among the best that Canada has to offer. 

The Gaels battled hard as Sofie Kennedy, Nadia Popov and Bridget Peros registered unconverted tries for the Gaels. The team was without U SPORTS Player of the Year, Sophie de Goede for the majority of the match as she left with an injury in the first half. 

The Gaels opened the tournament on Thursday with a 42-21 loss to the St. Francis Xavier X-Women. On Saturday the beat the Calgary Dinos 29-10.

The championship was won by St. Francis Xavier.


The Queen’s Gaels women’s soccer team (8-3-5, 1-2) fell 3-0 in the OUA bronze medal game to the McMaster Marauders (8-3-5, 3-1). Sunday's loss eliminated the Gaels from U SPORTS national championship contention and brought their season to an end.

The Marauders opened the scoring just before the half and added two more goals after the break.

On Saturday the Gaels lost 3-2 in the second overtime period to the Western Mustangs. Sarah Nixon and Kelsie McGinn scored for the Gaels.


The Queen’s Gaels women’s volleyball team (2-2) won a tight five-setter 26-24, 25-23, 22-25, 12-25, 15-9 against the Toronto Varsity Blues (2-1) on Sunday.

Caroline Livingston finished the game with 17 kills and two blocks.

On Saturday, the Gaels were on the losing end of a five-setter with the Ryerson Rams (3-0) 25-21, 19-25, 25-21, 25-8, 9-15. Arielle Palermo led with 14 kills and four service aces.


The Queen's Gaels (2-2) were defeated in a close and hard fought five-set game against the Toronto Varsity Blues (2-1) on Sunday 25-21, 29-27, 20-25, 23-25, 13-15.

Zac Hutcheson had 22 kills, two blocks and an ace.

On Saturday, the Gaels beat the Ryerson Rams (2-1) in five sets 25-14, 25-17, 16-25, 19-25, 15-13.

Mitchel Neuert had 10 kills, three blocks and an ace.


The Queen’s Gaels women's basketball team (2-1) fell to the Windsor Lancers (3-1) 88-79 on Saturday in Windsor.

It was a back-and-forth affair in the first half and the Gaels led at the break 55-52. The Gaels stretched the lead early in the third but Windsor battled back with a strong fourth quarter for the home win.

Marianne Allaire had 34 points for the Gaels.


The Queen’s Gaels men’s basketball team (1-2) fell to the Windsor Lancers (2-2) 61-59 in a heartbreaker on Saturday night in Windsor.

The Gaels got out to an early lead and controlled the game. Heading into the final two minutes Queen’s held a 59-52 lead as Swann Fargeau put in a layup.

However, that was the last point for the Gaels and the Lancers scored nine unanswered points to steal the win.

Jaz Bains led the Gaels with 28 points.


The No. 10 Queen's Gaels (5-2-0-0) were victorious on Saturday as they grabbed a 3-1 win over the UOIT Ridgebacks (2-4-0-1).

After outshooting the Ridgebacks15-3 in the opening period and Quinn Johnston finally scored the opener in the second for her first of the OUA season. The goal sparked the Gaels as three minutes later Nicole Posesorski scored and then Katrina Manoukarakis added her team leading fifth goal of the season.


In a battle of two nationally-ranked OUA teams, the No. 6 Queen's Gaels (6-3-0) fell 4-2 to No. 5 Ottawa Gee-Gees (7-0-1) on the road.

Heading into Saturday's match, the two teams were the highest ranked teams in the OUA. However, with the Gee-Gees win they create a three-point cushion in front of the Gaels.

After falling behind 2-0 Mason Kohn would get the Gaels on the board in the second period and Henry Thompson would equalize midway through the third. But the Gee-Gees found the winner and added an empty-netter.