Queen's Gazette | Queen's University

Search form

Gaels put on scoring display for Homecoming

Nelkas Kwemo makes an interception as the Queen's Gaels face the York Lions in Saturday's Homecoming football game at Richardson Stadium.
Nelkas Kwemo makes an interception as the Queen's Gaels face the York Lions in Saturday's Homecoming football game at Richardson Stadium.

A quick roundup of Gaels teams in action over the weekend:


The Queen's Gaels (3-4) defeated the York Lions (1-6) 52-34 at Richardson Stadium in front of a Homecoming crowd of 7,542 Tricolour faithful on Saturday afternoon.

After the York Lions picked up a pair of early points of punts through the endzone, the Gaels struck with quarterback Nate Hobbs connecting with Matteo Del Broccol for a 46-yard touchdown toss. Kicker Nick Liberatore converted and then added a field goal a few minutes later.

Queen’s kept rolling with interceptions by Wesley Mann and Nelkas Kwemo, and Hobbs found Del Brocco again after the second to give the Gaels a 17-2 lead in the first quarter.

York made a field goal but then the Gaels struck again with touchdowns for receiver Jeremy Pendergast and running back Jake Puskas. As the half wound down, Hobbs found Rudy Uhl for another major and the Lions added a touchdown of their own for a score of 40-13 at the break.

With the lead the Gaels held on in the second half with Puskas scoring another touchdown and Liberatore adding his third field goal of the day.


The No. 8 Queen’s Gaels pulled off the 20-15 road upset over the No. 7 McMaster Marauders to advance to the OUA Championship next weekend. With the victory, the Gaels have also assured a spot at the national championship hosted by the Lethbridge Pronghorns.

Queen’s was able to get the jump on the Marauders quickly as strong tackling lead to a Pippi McKay try giving Queen's an early 5-0 lead. After McMaster was able to respond with a try of their own, Queen’s rookie sensation Sophie de Goede broke through for another try.

The Gaels widened the gap as Nadia Popov finished off a long sprint giving Queen’s a 15-5 lead at the half.

The home side came out strong in the second half with a try in the 45th. But Popov broke through for her second try of the night. McMaster added another try but the Gaels hung on to advance to the final where they will face the Guelph Gryphons.


The undefeated Gaels (7-0) toppled the University of Varsity Blues (1-6) during Homecoming with a 78-0 victory.

The Gaels put on a show for the Homecoming crowd and scored in the first minute through Johnathan Ezer. Tries in the first half were scored by Evan Underwood, Gilad Miller, Patrick Lynott, and Dylan Young as the Gaels took a 47-0 lead into the break.

Stephen Lockhartscored an early try and was followed by multiple tries from Davin Killy and Dylan Young. 


The Queen's Gaels (10-3-1) were victorious 6-2 in their final home game of regular season on Homecoming weekend against the RMC Paladins (0-14-0).

The Gaels honoured their eight graduating seniors prior to the match: Kyra Steer, Rachel Radu, Micah Vermeer, Savannah Meyer-Clement, Alicia Levy, Matija Skoko, Claudia Glasspoole and Laura Callender.

Queen’s scored early an often with a pair of goals in the first half from Jenny Wolever while Savannah Meyer-Clement and Matija Skoko also found the back of the net.

RMC struck back on the restart but Alexandra Doane and Laura Callender kept the Gaels ahead.

On Friday, the Gaels routed the Paladins at RMC 8-0. Six Gaels scored with Meyer-Clement and Doane each getting a pair. Solos went to Lidia Bradau, Jamie Foot, Sarah Nixon and Christie Gray.


The Queen’s Gaels men's soccer team (6-5-3) were victorious 2-0 in a hard-fought home game against the RMC Paladins (0-11-3).

Prior to the match Queen’s honoured their graduating seniors Briam Jimenez-Lopez, Andrew Kim, Rory McParland, Patrick Van Belleghem, Tonko Bacelic and Jacob Schroeter.

In the 32nd minute, Christopher Meyer sent a header to the back of the net, scoring his first of the season.

After the half the Gaels put more pressure on the Paladins defence and continued to take shots on the RMC net. A late goal by Schroeter in the 87th minute the lead to 2-0 and solidified the win for Queen's.

On Friday, the Gaels beat the Trent Excalibur (3-6-4) 3-1 in Peterborough. Schroeter scored a pair of goals and Bacelic added another before the hosts added a late goal.


The Queen's Gaels (2-0-0) rounded out perfect opening weekend with a 4-0 win over the UOIT Ridgebacks (1-1-0). Jacob Brennan made 25 saves for the shutout.

Darcy Greenaway had a pair of goals and Damian Bourne and Luke Edwards also scored.

On Friday, the Gaels opened their season in style with a convincing 5-2 victory over the Laurentian Voyageurs (0-1-0).

After the visitors opened the scoring the Gaels struck back through Luke Bertolucci. But the Voyageurs added another for a 2-1 lead after the first.

Queen’s bounced back with goals from Slater Doggett and Brandon Prophet in the second period. Eric Ming stretched the lead to 4-2 in the third and Doggett added an empty-netter. Kevin Bailie made 27 saves for the win.


The Queens Gaels (1-0-0-0) started their season with a 2-1 win over the UOIT Ridgebacks (0-0-1-0) Saturday in Oshawa.

Kaylie Dennis opened the scoring for the Gaels in the first and the Ridgebacks evened the score in the second. Midway through the third Caroline DeBruin tapped home the winner.


The Queen’s Gaels used a strong eight-inning performance by pitcher Jordan Herbison and a four-hit game by right-fielder Curt Smith to beat the Waterloo Warriors to claim the bronze medal at the 2017 OUA baseball championship.

Herbison, one of the top starters in the OUA during the regular season, surrendered only three runs on seven hits over eight innings. He constantly pitched ahead and attacked the zone and finished the day with nine strikeouts.

Queen’s scored three runs in the first inning on a bases loaded walk and back-to-back singles by Curt Smith and Joey Stipec. Kail Belowglowka drove in two on a towering double in the third, and Smith would drive in runs in both the fourth and sixth. 

After the Warriors scored three runs to close the gap in the fifth, Queen’s added runs in the sixth and seventh innings.