Gaels roll in Homecoming game

Gaels roll in Homecoming game

October 20, 2014


[Homecoming Football]
The Queen's Gaels beat the York Lions 57-10 in the Homecoming game Saturday at Richardson Stadium. (Photo by Suzy Lamont)

It was a busy weekend with a number of Gaels teams taking part in Homecoming events before large crowds of students and alumni. Here’s a quick look at the weekend’s results.


The Gaels beat York 57-10 in front of a sold-out Homecoming crowd of 8,151 in their last home game of the season in Kingston on Saturday afternoon.

In their final game in the tricolour at Richardson Stadium, fifth-year players Billy McPhee and Alex Carroll got things started for Queen's under two minutes into the game for an 84-yard score to put the Gaels ahead 7-0.

Overall, Carroll caught seven passes for over 200 yards and a career-high three touchdowns. McPhee went 19-of-33, for 386 yards and four touchdown passes.

Jesse Andrews stretched the lead, punching it in to score after being brought down at the three yard line.

To close out the first quarter, Matt Pendergast picked off a pass to set up a Dillon Wamsley field goal, for a 17-0 lead.

York scored their lone touchdown to start the second quarter, as Jahmari Bennett found Joey Ricottone from 17 yards out.

The Gaels had no problem responding, as Aaron Dowd blocked a punt to set up Andrews’ second major of the afternoon from 13 yards out. Andrews finished the game with 141 yards on the ground on 18 attempts.

Carroll got back into the action before halftime, scoring touchdowns on 27 and 18 yard passes.

On another Wamsley field goal, the Gaels went into halftime up 43-7.

"I was especially pleased with the first half, I thought the team played well in that half," head coach Pat Sheahan said. "There were some big plays, some big strikes and quite a few first downs at the half. The running game was going, there were some great throws and some great catches so it was going pretty much our way from start to finish."

Doug Corby scored the only major for Queen's in the second half, and Wamsley added two more field goals and a rouge. The Gaels have now beat York in all 17 meetings.

Defensively, rookie Nelkas Kwemo led the Gaels with six tackles, including a sack and a pair of tackles for losses. Pendergast added four tackles, two tackles for losses, and a sack to his interception, which he returned 10 yards. Derek Wiggan finished up his home career with a pair of sacks.

The offensive line stood tall for the Gaels as they did not allow much pressure to quarterback McPhee who was not sacked on the day, the group included graduating senior Marco Ciallela.

The Gaels face Carleton on the road in their final game of 2014 next Saturday.

Men’s Rugby

The Gaels men’s rugby squad (6-1) toppled the Western Mustangs (4-2-1) with a 33-8 victory Saturday on Nixon Field.

The Gaels scored first thanks in large part to a long run from Kainoa Lloyd. The Gaels then forced the ball over the line and Joseph Yelle put down the try with a successful conversion by Adam McQueen. The Mustangs were quick to respond but missed the conversion to make it 7-5. 

The Mustangs surged forward, but a Mustang player received a serious injury requiring medical attention that stopped the game. Western was awarded a penalty kick that was converted, making the score 8-7 for the Mustangs at halftime. 

The Gaels pushed hard immediately in the second half to put down an early try by Angus MacPhail with another successful McQueen convert allowing the Gaels to reclaim their lead. Western pushed the Gaels deep in their own zone but Queen’s finally gained traction score a try by Lucas Rumball and a tough conversion by McQueen.

The Gaels added tries from James Dent  and Rumball.

Catch the Gaels back in action Oct. 25 when they take on the Waterloo Warriors at 1 pm on Nixon Field.

Women’s Rugby
The No.4 Gaels women’s rugby team will not be repeating as OUA champions after falling 29-21 to the No.7 Guelph Gryphons on Saturday in their OUA semifinal.

It was an extremely close and well matched game with constant back-and-forth action causing numerous lead changes. Miranda Seifert put the first try of the game on the board with a successful conversion giving the Gaels a 7-0 lead. The Gryphons battled back putting down their own try, closing the gap to 7-5. Guelph continued to push and put down another try with a successful conversion but Queen's responded with a try and conversion, claiming the lead once again. Before closing the first half, the Gryphons were able to fit in another try for a 19-14 advantage.

Opening the second half, the Gaels pulled ahead of the Gryphons with a try and successful conversion making it 21-19. After some hard play, Guelph was able to get some room putting down another try and grabbing a 24-21 lead. After battling with the Gaels, the Gryphons were able to widen the gap with another try. The struggle continued as the Gaels grappled to regain their lead but the Gryphons shut down any possibility of a comeback leaving the final score 29-21 for Guelph.

Although the Gaels are out of the running for OUA Championship, they will have a chance to claim the bronze medal on Oct 25 when they face the Western Mustangs, who lost 24-10 to the McMaster Marauders in the other semifinal.

Women’s Hockey

With 1,562 people in attendance at the Gaels School Day Game, No. 3 Queen's defeated York 5-0 at the Rogers K-Rock Centre to begin the Gaels Homecoming Weekend.

In partnership with the Kingston Frontenacs, the Rogers K-Rock Centre, and Queen's Women's Hockey Alumni, the game celebrated UN Day of the Girl, profiling women's sport and the role education plays in the rights of girls.

Queen's got goals from Taryn Pilon, Addi Halladay, Mary Coughlin, Nadia Larocca and Clare McKellar. Caitlyn Lahonen picked up her second win of the season and the first shutout of her career for the Gaels with 23 saves.

Pilon leads the OUA with five goals, four powerplay goals, and three game-winners through three games this season. With a goal and an assist in the game, Pilon also takes sole possession of first place in OUA points with eight.

The Gaels (3-0-0) are back in action Saturday, Oct. 25, when they host the Toronto Varsity Blues at 3:30 pm at the Memorial Centre.

Men’s Hockey

Spencer Abraham scored the go-ahead goal in the third period as the Gaels earned a 3-2 victory Friday against the Concordia Stingers at the Memorial Centre.

The Gaels also got goals from Andrew Wiebe and Patrick McGillis

The Gaels (2-1-0) return to action on Friday as they meet the Guelph Gryphons (2-3-1). Puck drop is 7:30 pm at the Memorial Centre.

Women’s Soccer

The Gaels women’s soccer team exploded offensively for a 6-3 victory over RMC in the final game of the regular season.

Queen's dominated the first half with Tara Bartram, Laura Callendar, Melissa Jung and Brittany Almeida netting goals. The Gaels added to their lead three minutes into the second half as Bartram and Callendar added their second of the game. RMC eventually found the back of the net on a hat-trick from Brooke Blogg.

The Gaels finish the season in fourth place of the OUA East Division with a record of 9-4-3.

Men’s Soccer

The men's soccer team dominated RMC for a 5-0 victory in the final game of the regular season.

Queen's opened the scoring in the 14th minute through Tommy Hong and doubled their lead six minutes later as Marco D'Elia converted on a penalty kick after Hong was taken down in the box. Rohan Sarna deposited a free kick from just outside the box in the 28th minute. Chris Wellsman netted a pair of second-half goals to put to round out the scoring.

The Gaels finish the season in third place of the OUA East Division with a record of 9-2-5.

Men’s Volleyball

The Gaels men’s volleyball team finished Homecoming Weekend as champions of the Queen's Invitational with a perfect 3-0 record.

On Sunday, the Gaels topped the Toronto Varsity Blues in straight sets, 25-21, 25-13, 25-17. Earlier they beat the Montreal Carabins 19-25, 25-14, 25-19 and 25-22 and the Memorial Sea-Hawks 25-13, 25-19 and 25-22.

Montreal ended up in second at 2-1, while Toronto placed third at 1-2. Memorial ended 0-3 at the tournament.

The Gaels’ Mike Tomlinson claimed MVP honours thanks to his 25 kills in just eight sets played. The outside hitter also has a killer spin serve, picking out 10 aces over the course of the tournament. Getting all-star nods for the Gaels were Scott Brunet, who contributed 16 kills, nine assisted blocks and one solo block and Markus Trence, with 26 kills, 13 digs, two assisted blocks, and one solo block.

Queen's opens their regular season on Friday at 8 pm when they host Windsor at the ARC.

Women's Volleyball

Queen's finished Homecoming Weekend with a 1-2 record against the Sherbooke Vert et Or, who won the tie-breaker on Sunday to go 2-1.

The Gaels fell 24-26, 25-18, 25-15, 25-23 on Sunday at the ARC, a second straight loss after opening the series with a five-set comeback win 12-25, 24-26, 25-21, 25-16 15-11 on Friday. Sherbrooke won on Saturday 25-18, 25-19, 25-22

Women’s Basketball

The Gaels defeated the Trinity Western Spartans in preseason action on the road 74-70 Saturday night in Langley, B.C.

The Spartans grabbed the early lead, going ahead 21-20 at the end of the first quarter and spreading the margin to 43-40 by halftime. Queen's turned up the heat in the third quarter with strong offensive pressure but the Spartans were able to stay ahead going into the final quarter, leading the Gaels 55-54.

After Queen's took the lead, Trinity Western's Jesse Brown hit a three to pull her team within one with just over a minute to play. A back-door layup from Abby Dixon restored the Gaels three-point lead, and Liz Boag hit a free throw to seal it for Queen's.

The Gaels finished their B.C. tour with a 2-1 record. Queen's will be back on the court on Friday, opening their schedule at the Carleton Invitational against Memorial in more exhibition play.

Men’s Basketball

The Gaels men’s basketball team picked up a 52-48 victory against UQAM Saturday afternoon on the road in preseason action.

Ryall Stroud got the ball rolling early, scoring the first basket from the floor for the Gaels. Stroud's dominance on the boards resulted in seven rebounds and eight points for Queen's. However, UQAM grabbed the lead back, having the advantage at the end of each quarter.

In the final quarter the Gaels offence finally clicked, netting seven quick points and outscoring the Citadins 21-7 in the final frame.

Tanner Graham was the top scorer for the Gaels sinking 12 points.

On Friday, the Gaels lost to the Concordia Stingers 73-61.

The Gaels will be on the road Nov. 1 when they take on Hobart College in Geneva, NY.