Queen's Gazette | Queen's University

Search form

Gaels stay undefeated in women's soccer

"Queen's Gaels play Ottawa Gee-Gees in women's soccer."
Taylor Green of the Queen's Gaels fights for possession with an Ottawa Gee-Gees player during Sunday's game at Richardson Field. The match ended in a 1-1 draw. (Photo by Robin Kasem)

A quick roundup of Queen’s Gaels teams in action over the weekend:


The Queen’s Gaels remain undefeated (3-0-1) after posting a win and a draw on the weekend.

On Sunday, the No. 5 Gaels hosted the No. 10 Ottawa Gee-Gees (4-1-1) at Richardson Stadium in a gam that ended 1-1. After a scoreless first half Jenny Wolever buried a cross from Claudia Glasspoole in the 64th minute. However, the Gee-Gees were able net the equalizer three minutes from full time

On Saturday, the Gaels topped the visiting Carleton Ravens (2-3-0) 2-0, with goals from Taylor Green and Laura Callender on either side of the half.


The Queen's Gaels (2-2-0) saw their two-game win streak snapped after falling 3-0 to the Carleton Ravens (3-0-2) Saturday at Richardson Stadium.

The Gaels played well in the early portion of the opening half but defensively couldn't keep the Ravens attack at bay as the visitors scored once before the half and twice after the break.


The Queen's Gaels (1-1) hosted the Western Mustangs (0-1) in their home opener on Saturday afternoon at Nixon Field and after being tied early at 12-12, the Gaels exploded offensively taking a 57-12 victory.

The hosts went up early with tries from Sophie de Goede and Nadia Popov but the Mustangs charged back with a pair of tries as well. From there on it was all Gaels. Just three minutes later de Goede picked up her second try of the match as well as the conversion to put Queen’s ahead 19-12. Pippi McKay and Molly Labenski added two more tries before the half to make it 31-12. Labenski picked up her second try in the second half and was joined in the scoring by Erin Geddes, Sadie Stephenson and McKinley Hunt.


The Queen’s Gaels (2-0) men’s rugby team played their second straight road game to start the season taking down the Laurier Golden Hawks (1-1) 72-7 in Waterloo.
Evan Underwood put the Gaels up early with a pair of tries that were converted by Alex Colborne. By the half the Gaels were ahead 29-0. Seven different Gaels finished with tries and four of the seven had two or more in the game.

The Gaels are back on the field Saturday at 1 pm as they host the RMC Paladins at Nixon Field.