Queen's Gazette | Queen's University

Search form

Gaels women’s soccer team finishes weekend with six points

[Gaels women's soccer]
The Queen's Gaels women's soccer team recognized its senior players ahead of Sunday's match against the UOIT Ridgebacks at Richardson Stadium. (Photo by Robin Kasem)

A quick roundup of Queen's Gaels teams and athletes in action over the weekend:


The Queen's Gaels women's soccer team (8-2-2) defeated the UOIT Ridgebacks (7-4-2) 2-0 Sunday at Richardson Stadium in OUA women's soccer action. 

The home side opened the scoring in the 42nd minute as Jenny Wolever found the back of the net. 

The Gaels continued to apply pressure in the second half and were finally able to double to lead in extra time as Wolever slotted home a penalty kick after she was brought down in the box.

Before the match Queen's honoured their graduating seniors Jenny Wolever, Lidia Bradau, Sarah Nixon, Asia Wisco, Alicia Levy and Alanna Richardson.

On Saturday, the Gaels  drew 1-1 with the Trent Excalibur (2-6-4). 

The visitors got on the board first with a 14th-minute goal from forward Emma Twohey  that beat Queen's keeper Anna Stephenson.

On the attack in the second half, Queen's finally broke through in the 77th minute when Wolever lost her defender and rounded the Trent goalkeeper before calmly slotting it home to level the match. 


The Queen's Gaels men’s soccer team (6-5-1) drew crosstown rivals the RMC Paladins (2-8-2) 1-1 in their lone game of the weekend.

Playing at home the side Paladins were first on the scoresheet as Liam Chambers found the back of the Queen's net

Queen's responded in the 45th minute as Michael Chang scored on a penalty kick just before the break.


The Queen’s Gaels men’s hockey team (1-0-0) defeated the No. 4 McGill Redmen (0-0-1) 2-1 in an overtime win on Friday night in Montreal.

McGill opened the scoring early as Aaron Armstrong beat Justin Fazio, who got the nod as the Gaels' season-opening goaltender. Fazio did not let the early goal faze him as he closed the door for the remainder of the period.

The second period was filled with and Nevin Guy tied it up for the Gaels on the powerplay. 

In overtime, Duncan Campbell scored the winner to send the Gaels back to Kingston with the win.

In his first game as a Gael, Fazio stood out against one of the most prolific offences in the OUA, making 32 saves.


The Queen's men's rugby team (6-0) defeated the crosstown rival RMC Paladins (1-5) 65-14 at Navy Bay on Friday. 

The Paladins put up a valiant first half effort against the reigning OUA champions, holding the Gaels to 19 points and responded with two converted tries of their own to trail 19-14 at the half. 

The Paladins could not keep up this momentum in the second half however, as the Gaels returned to their torrid scoring form, posting 46 unanswered second-half points and putting the result well out of reach, securing their 16thstraight OUA victory.

Standouts from the match included third-year forward Trevor Helgason, who scored his first two tries of the season. Scrum-half Dylan Young also continued his consistent play, scoring a try and converting five kicks.


The Queen’s Gaels football team (3-4) fell 27-24 to the McMaster Marauders (4-2) on Friday in Hamilton.

After trailing 27-16 the Gaels came back in the fourth quarter to bring the game to within three. However, a missed field goal late sealed the game for the Marauders.

Trailing 1-0, the Gaels put up the first major as Jake Puskas ran the ball in from six yards out for his fifth touchdown of the year.

After the Gaels conceded a safety  the Marauders got their first TD for a 10-7 lead.

With the teams trading a number of field goals, McMaster would find the endzone again early in the fourth quarter and then added another field goal to boost the lead to 27-16.

With less than three minutes remaining the Gaels capped off a four-play, 51-yard drive with a rushing touchdown from Rasheed Tucker. A successful two-point conversion then made it 27-24.

After the Gaels forced a two-and-out they got the ball back with one last opportunity to tie the game. After they managed to get the ball to McMaster's 47-yard line they set up for a lengthy 54-yard field goal which came up short.


The Queen's rowing team was in St. Catharines for the Brock University Regatta on Saturday.

The Gaels placed in nine events coming away with five golds, two silver and two bronze.

The men took home gold in three events, the lightweight 2- (6:44.55), lightweight 2x (6:29.24) and lightweight 1x (7:12.32). The women finished first in the heavyweight 4 (7:01.28) and the women’s 2- (7:39.03).

The men's heavyweight 2x finished with a silver on the water as did the women's lightweight 1x.

The Gaels lightweight 2x women rowed to a bronze medal and the novice women's eight also secured a bronze for the Tricolour.

Queens' will be back on the water at the OUA championships on Oct. 26-27 at the Royal Canadian Henley Rowing Course.