OT loss eliminates football Gaels

OT loss eliminates football Gaels

By Communications Staff

October 24, 2016


[Gaels vs. Gee-Gees]
Queen's Gaels running back Jonah Pataki looks for more yards during Saturday's game against the Ottawa Gee-Gees at Richardson Stadium (Photo by Jason Scourse)

A quick roundup of Gaels teams in action over the weekend:


The Queen’s Gaels football team lost a heartbreaker Saturday against the No. 9 Ottawa Gee-Gees in overtime on the last day of the regular season at Richardson Stadium in cold, wet, and windy conditions. The Gee-Gees took their only lead of the day on the final play of the game to win 42-41.

Ending the season at 3-5, Queen's finishes level with the Guelph Gryphons in the standings. The Gaels fall out of a playoff spot because the Gryphons won the head-to-head tie-break.

After the Gaels scored a touchdown on their first possession in OT, the Gee-Gees matched them and in a gutsy move completed a two-point conversion for the win.


The Queen’s Gaels (11-4-1) defeated the Laurentian Voyagers (9-6-1) 2-0 in the final regular season game of 2016 on the road Sunday. Tara Bartram and Jenny Wolever scored in the closing 10 minutes for the win.

On Saturday, the Gaels topped the Nipissing Lakers (4-8-3) 3-0. Laura Callender scored twice in the first half and Bartram rounded out the scoring in the second.

With the wins the Gaels earn a bye through the first round of the playoffs and will play on home turf next weekend.


The Queen’s Gaels (7-5-4) won 2-0 against the Laurentian Voyageurs (6-8-2) in the final game of the regular season Sunday, with home field advantage on the line. Patrick Van Belleghem and Jacob Schroeter scored for the Gaels.

On Saturday, the Gaels rolled over the Nipissing Lakers (1-11-3) for a 6-2 victory. Van Belleghem scored in the first half but the Lakers took a 2-1 lead at the break. Things changed in the second half. Chris Wellsman put the Gaels in the lead with back-to-back strikes before Van Belleghem added his second. Tommy Hong then finished off the scoring with a brace of his own.

The Gaels now host the Laurentian Voyageurs on Wednesday in the first round of the playoffs


In a tough battle for a spot in the OUA women’s rugby final, the No. 2 Guelph Gryphons defeated the No. 3 Queen's Gaels 37-0 on Saturday in Guelph. The Gaels will now look to claim an OUA bronze while Guelph will advance to the OUA championship. 

On the road against a team that allowed no points at home in the regular season and just 12 including road games Queen's was in for a tough match. The Gaels fought hard looking to keep the score close to give themselves a chance but the Gryphon attack proved to be too much.

Guelph now returns to the OUA championship for the second year in a row after losing in 2015 match to McMaster. The Gryphons will meet McMaster once again this year. Queen's will get a rematch of the 2015 OUA bronze medal match as they travel to London to take on the Mustangs.


Six players for the Queen's Gaels men’s rugby team got on the scoresheet as the tricolour defeated RMC 45-19 in the final game of the regular season on Saturday, and earned a bye through the first round of the OUA playoffs as a result.

For the third game in a row, the Gaels broke the 40 point barrier and more than doubled up their opponents. 

Alex Colborne led the way with five conversions for the Gaels and a try. In his first game back from playing with Canada 'A' in Uruguay, Kainoa Lloyd was the only man on the field to score two tries.  Rounding out the Gaels scorers were Matthew Geisler, Nicholas DeLallo, and Ben Bethune.

The Gaels have next weekend off as they await their opponent for the OUA semifinal, which will be hosted on Nixon Field Nov. 5. 


The Queen’s Gaels men’s hockey team (3-1-1) won both games on the weekend, beating the Laurentian Voyageurs (1-3-1) 3-0 on Friday and the Nipissing Lakers (2-3-1) 4-2 on Saturday in North Bay.

On Saturday, the Gaels got goals from Francesco Vilardi, Slater Doggett, Peter Angelopolous and Darcy Greenaway. On Friday, getting on the scoresheet were Ryan Bloom, Patrick Downe and Eric Ming, while Kevin Bailie made 44 saves for the shutout.


The Queen’s Gaels women’s hockey team (2-0-2-0) earned a weekend split, beating the Laurier Golden Hawks (0-0-1-1) 2-0 on Friday before falling 6-0 against the Waterloo Warriors (2-1-1-0) on Saturday.

While the Warriors proved too much, the Gaels got goals from Addi Halladay and Emily Jukosky as Stephanie Pascal stopped all 31 shots she faced against the Golden Hawks.